No announcement yet.

TA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to Ming, btw. He knows what he's talking about. Find something that works for you to deal with the anxiety. For me I run it eyes front, with the students having active participation. I have made them sit for a half hour before to make the point that we need to be paying attention to the class, after a few students complained about excessive chatter. I also confiscate phones if I catch you checking one That happens once a term then everyone sees it and they don't do that again.

Do it right away, tell them about it and most important - stay consistent through the term. Students are going to want to drift off, but they will be much more accepting of a 'tough' teacher who's the same every time than someone who's tough and then not tough. I personally am not that 'tough', but the students listen to me so. They don't really notice it because they are used to it by the end of the term.

Also, I will start at the bell, if you're late you miss out. 5+ minutes, you're waiting outside. Got complaints about it before, but I pointed out that we have to start on time and the best way to start on time and not get behind is to you know, start on time. I will let them out early if we finish up early - so there is incentive to sit and listen and be productive. I have one lesson plan that consistently runs over, which I have to work on this year to try to figure out a way to fix that one. Aside from that, the others are appropriately paced.

I'm not tough because I don't assign homework, and I think that's a fair trade off for paying attention in class and making good use of your time. If you're falling behind and need extra help, I will schedule time with those students outside of class. I might have a student or two a year that needs the catch-up time, so I try to make sure they get it.

Some parents are skeptical about the approach and I try to explain that they are more likely to learn if it isn't drudgery.
    Last edited by Ben Kenobi; August 24, 2016, 14:59.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Awesome atmosphere. This is why guns need to be heavily restricted.
      The parents love our signs.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You probably wouldn't have to carry if the students weren't allowed to. It seems so simple.
        You don't leave valuables visible in your car do you? Anyhoo, lets not threadjack,

Comment

Still unsure if rah got away with posting an Eminem quote..
          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Which one? Not a big fan so unfamiliar with a most of his stuff.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
              Still unsure if rah got away with posting an Eminem quote..

I seriously doubt my bro would know an Eminem quote even if it slapped him across the side of his head
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Street Life

Originally posted by rah View Post
                I'm always nervous prior and have that feeling of wanting to puke.
                I go up with knees slightly shaking.

I get better the longer I'm up there.

But then afterwards people will come up to me and tell me how calm I looked, and I just laugh.
                Originally posted by Eminem-Loose yourself
                His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
                There's vomit on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti
                He's nervous, but on the surface he looks calm and ready
                Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Yep, no clue whatsoever.
                  Yes, actually pretty close, but I'm glad it's not more exact. I'd hate to be known as someone that had to plagiarize Eminem to express a feeling on a internet gaming site.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well... I did forget to add.. Have fun in a room full of stinky freshmen who don't use deodorant lol. I remember that when I helped a professor one semester while I was in grad school.
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Well, I just finished a three day workshop for new TAs. There was free food, so I got that out of it.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Was it subject specific or just TA specific (if the latter, it would take more than food)
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

There were no workshops for TAs when I did it. I met with the Professor for about 30 min. before the semester started and then just showed up for the 1st day of class.

With all the preparation you are getting, it will be a piece of cake. Relax.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Just for the astronomy department. So discussing things like how to deal with math anxiety and scientific misconceptions and all that jazz.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                              There were no workshops for TAs when I did it. I met with the Professor for about 30 min. before the semester started and then just showed up for the 1st day of class.
                              The astro department at Maryland is very big on pedagogy. Active learning and stuff like that.

Comment

I think you'll be fine. My experience with TAs is that, unless you're a bona fide douchebag who hates his students, they'll at least tolerate you. I mean, the first TA I had was a staggeringly hot and personable girl from Spain, and we got along great with her. But we also got along fine with her much homelier and less charismatic Chilean replacement the next semester. Which is not to say that it would hurt if you became a drop-dead sexy Latina with a sparkling smile, I just don't think it's in the cards at this--

Ahem. You know the subject, are not going to be completely phoning it in, and will make a sincere effort to explain stuff. I think that'll go a long way.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X