Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to organize AirDefense with Interceptors (SMACX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to organize AirDefense with Interceptors (SMACX)

Well, I wonder how Interceptors (Needlejets with SAM) are supposed to work:
    When giving them the shift+l command, they start moving arround as on autmated airdefence, which is useles to me.
    I just want them to intercept enemy Needlejets that come into range - not Change their Position on their own.
    So, how do they behave with l or h command?

Found this thread, but was inconclusive: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...d-Bombing-Runs

I always skip the airframes and go straight to antigav, so I don't know this one - keep checking back, though, and somebody will...
    AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
    JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Interceptors are mainly a waste of resources. AAA units are way better if you need protection against air attack.

Though, the real protection against air attack is choppers. Not as defenders but as attackers. They can wipe out wast amounts of enemy units at their bases at low cost (don't give them shielding - that doesn't count in combat).

Oh, and don't build antigrav units they are even worse than interceptors .
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Usually by the time I can build them, I don't need them...
        AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
        JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Buster's Uncle View Post
          I always skip the airframes and go straight to antigav, so I don't know this one - keep checking back, though, and somebody will...
          I think it's the best choice

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
            Interceptors are mainly a waste of resources. AAA units are way better if you need protection against air attack.

Though, the real protection against air attack is choppers. Not as defenders but as attackers. They can wipe out wast amounts of enemy units at their bases at low cost (don't give them shielding - that doesn't count in combat).

Oh, and don't build antigrav units they are even worse than interceptors .
            I don't know if I would describe them as a waste of resources. There's a couple of nice things about interceptors: 1) If you're in Free Market, they won't generate unrest. 2) They've got a long range, so can scout enemy territory, block ground movement not equipped with SAM, and punish raids on your civilian units. However, Black Cat is certainly right about this: Setting up your interceptors to scramble IS a waste of resources. That's because interceptors acting on your own turn will attack enemy air units using their attack value versus the enemy's defense value (invariably 1), whereas scrambled interceptors attack versus the enemy's attack value. So, in light of that, my preferred interceptor is the lowly and inexpensive impact interceptor. It fulfills all the benefits I alluded to earlier, and is pretty inexpensive to build and replace.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron View Post
              I don't know if I would describe them as a waste of resources. There's a couple of nice things about interceptors: 1) If you're in Free Market, they won't generate unrest. 2) They've got a long range, so can scout enemy territory, block ground movement not equipped with SAM, and punish raids on your civilian units. However, Black Cat is certainly right about this: Setting up your interceptors to scramble IS a waste of resources. That's because interceptors acting on your own turn will attack enemy air units using their attack value versus the enemy's defense value (invariably 1), whereas scrambled interceptors attack versus the enemy's attack value. So, in light of that, my preferred interceptor is the lowly and inexpensive impact interceptor. It fulfills all the benefits I alluded to earlier, and is pretty inexpensive to build and replace.
              yes, i think so

Comment

Working...
              X