How long do/should shoes last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do/should shoes last?

I need new shoes. I bought my current pair (checks Amazon) October of 2013. I wear them essentially every day for every occasion, which involves a fair bit of walking to and from classes but nothing in the way of, you know, physical exertion. Now they look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	shoes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.4 KB
ID:	9136216

So, three years: should I be pleased or disappointed? I'll note that otherwise the shoes are in decent condition and I have no trouble walking around in them (unless it's raining).
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I usually own and wear several different types of shoes in rotation so that a pair will last me many years. I still have a pair of army combat boots which are 12 years old and in great condition.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

To me 3 years would be good. I go through a pair of gym shoes every 6-9 months. But in all fairness, I wear them to work and can't let them look to grungy.
      Dress shoes are another thing. I don't wear them every day anymore so they last a long long time.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It seems to me that 3 years of constant use is about right. My wife likes to say hers last a decade or more, but many of them she only wears once a year.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          But in all fairness, I wear them to work and can't let them look to grungy.
          My boss recently complimented my shoes, which was weird because if my legs are crossed, he can totally see the hole. Maybe it was his subtle way of saying he's noticed and I should get new ones. Maybe I should subtly suggest that I would get new shoes, but money is kind of tight right now...
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

3 yrs sounds good to me too.

Personally I use a mix of rather cheap shoes for short ways plus of more expensive stuff when I'm "on my feet" for long.

Usually the cheap stuff does not survive more than 9-12 months. There are few exceptions, some cheap shoes turn out to be very good surprisingly, while I had one pair that was rather expensive, and did not hold a full year, which was pretty annoying

My favourite was a pair of outdoor/trekking shoes that seemed to be indestructible (though ultimately did break of course, but only after many yrs)
            Blah

Comment

I have about 40 pairs of shoes (a lot for a guy I know)... So they tend to last longer. I don't wear any too often. I love my Aldo and Guess shoes. Guess tends to last a long time.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

We need a socks copycat.
                Blah

Comment

Spanish boots in medieval times lasted for a long time.
                  But noone wanted to wear them voluntarily
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Uh, I have had two pair last 5 years apiece, but I usually wear them everywhere and let them fall apart. If they've got holes in the sole - replace them. I will also replace the liner in the shoes as that will go before the shoes do.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I usually replace my flip flops every 3 to 5 months.

Comment

I divide shoes in "serious shoes" to go with suits and stuff for meetings.

Then there are "semi-serious" which are for everyday work, those are the bulk.

I also have "summer shoes-leisure" but those aren't many

I'd have more but I have difficulty finding my size especially the summer ones.

I prefer getting good brands because they are much more comfortable healthy and last longer, than get more cheaper ones

I always get frustrated when window shoping because of the size thing

And I also have my military boots (Immortal )

And for longer than I can remember I was in sandals t-shirt and shorts for weeks on end. That was very good

Comment

I worked in a lab for a Castor oil company from 2000-2005; my duties included inspecting reactor vessels for cleanliness, so I needed steel-toed shoes -- but not necessarily boots, because I spent most of my time in the lab. Every six months, the shoe truck (a shoe store packed into a tractor trailer) would pull up and I would get my pick of several dozen different shoes and boots, gratis. I acquired about 10 pairs of footwear that way.

Eleven years down the road, eight pairs are still good, including my prized steel toed loafers. The soles on the steel toed sneakers delaminated on me, and the soles of my favorite Florsheim workboots split a week into my first job in Kansas, but I still got the loafers.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                          X