No announcement yet.

Why are the betting markets...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, Trump is naively stupid. Local forces need support and that is what is happening. There is already some cooperation starting to occur between the US and Russia (I posted on this myself in the past).
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
      i think that some people need to face up the fact that the US is a far more serious threat to world peace than russia and/or iran.
      I acknowledge that (at least in regards to Iran, I disagree about Russia but it is arguable).

But a US with chaotic foreign policy that isn't trusted on the international stage is much much worse.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        I acknowledge that (at least in regards to Iran, I disagree about Russia but it is arguable).

But a US with chaotic foreign policy that isn't trusted on the international stage is much much worse.

JM
        I think posts like this are like "I have a big dick look at me"

Noone is afraid about a "chaotic US" because it will immediately lose all its outlets and be rendered something like north korea.
        Which is actually the argument against the current status quo. They are able to "conveince" the people that what they are doing is for the people (TM) best benefit but the results don't show that.
        So maybe someone "outside" the system would be better.

The "insugence mode" that cockney wrote about certaintly is there and that is testament that a change seems to be needed. Something out of the ordinary.
        But that doesn't really change what can be or not be done internationally because the safe valves are pretty much in place anyway

Comment

JM
          Why on earth would you be worried about Iran? There's few countries I'd be worried less about.

Comment

Trump is erratic and chaotic indeed. Mixed signals and a reckless foreign policy is the last thing we need. He is so bad... His words are being used against this country in Daesh propaganda videos.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Trump had actually said he was for the Iraq war before speaking against it, he was for invading Libya in an Iraq style invasion (to take out Kaddafi, "it would be so easy"), and "take the oil", "we shouldn't have left", and "we should have kept the oil" clearly can only be done with boots on the ground and ignoring Iraq's sovereignty. He's also said stuff like "surround" ISIS. And of course he claims Obama/Clinton haven't supported Israel enough, and that Obama's drone strikes "haven't been enough". More sanctions against Iran too.

So either he has no idea what it will actually take to do the things he said he would, or he's lying about what he will try to do.

"Kill terrorists' families" is definitely foreign policy as those families are foreign citizens in many cases, killing them means military style operations in foreign countries all over the world (even allies), and doing something so horrific would turn much of the world further against us.

His rhetoric about Mexico and China, and even our allies. They are all "cheating us". It's dangerous rhetoric to demonize the whole world and get Americans riled up against our neighbors.

Hillary has plenty of problems, but Trump's foreign policy is horrible in it's own right.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Why on earth would you be worried about Iran? There's few countries I'd be worried less about.
                It is likely to start problems in the Mideast due to the fact it is a different type of Islam (and that is one of the central problems in the Mideast). But yeah, I worry a lot less about Belgium for example.

But it is probably not in the top 100 dangerous countries.

JM
                (Maybe you misunderstood me? I agreed that the US is a far more serious threat to world peace than Iran.)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                  I think posts like this are like "I have a big dick look at me"

Noone is afraid about a "chaotic US" because it will immediately lose all its outlets and be rendered something like north korea.
                  North Korea has a joke of a military, a joke of an economy, almost no nuclear or power projection capability and so on.

The only way the US could be something like North Korea is if we got nuked to the stone age.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

1 month before Brexit, Betfair had Remain at 78%.
                    With that impressive sample size you've clearly proven that prediction markets are wrong. Now's your chance to make some money.

Comment

North Korea has a joke of a military, a joke of an economy, almost no nuclear or power projection capability and so on.

The only way the US could be something like North Korea is if we got nuked to the stone age.

JM
                      Ok. A nuked north korea then.

Let's say the world thought that your invasion in iraq was a chaotic act.

Some did, some didn't. And those who did, were not convinced it was chaotic enough.

If they did I doubt you'd have been able to leave the ports of new york.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        With that impressive sample size you've clearly proven that prediction markets are wrong. Now's your chance to make some money.
                        Careful. A general election in the US is way different. And so is this election. Trump will lose.

Comment

1 month before Brexit, Betfair had Remain at 78%.
                          Right, which could be a data point pushing us toward the betfair participants unreasonably discounting polls in favor of views they might not have personal experience with...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Probably the speculators are worried that if the odds on Trump winning get too high, Trump will bet all his money on Trump losing and then throw the race.

Comment

So who is Trump voting for? I bet you he's voting for Hillary!

Comment

78% is not that high. If 78% events always happened that would be very suspicious...

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X