No announcement yet.

UK Trident vote today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that comprehensively closes off the "Oooooo, Putin might invade Eastern Europe" argument, anyway. Even if he did, no nukes would be fired.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

"Why Die for Danzig?"
      Blah

Comment

Freeloaders beware. There is a definite movement among a certain part of the American political spectrum who thinks we are being taken advantage of by allies who just are not carrying their own weight. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36852805
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
          Freeloaders beware. There is a definite movement among a certain part of the American political spectrum who thinks we are being taken advantage of by allies who just are not carrying their own weight. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36852805
          Who cares about a man who will never win? The RNC was a disaster and that reckless tool will not win. Trump only speaks for himself. And Trump is a major freeloader himself... Looking at his business history.

Most of this country will stand with our allies and not backstab them like that lunatic.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The scary thing is he is currently polling in a dead heat with Hillary.

Comment

Are you sure you're not a conservative?
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The scary thing is he is currently polling in a dead heat with Hillary.
                Nice faux outrage. No he is not. Most polls put Hillary ahead and she leads is just about every swing state and she comes up close in traditionally Republican states. After the debacle with Cruz, Trump has looked incredibly weak. He wasn't even able to make a deal with Cruz... since he likes to claim he makes great deals.

It was really the first major internal party test and he failed miserably. His supporters insulted and pissed off people within the party. So I expect to see him take a hit in the polls after this.

BTW, in most national polling Hillary leads by a solid margin, but she does even better in important state wide polling. She leads in just about every swing state I will reiterate.
                For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

BTW, I must remind people polls are notorious for under representing minorities. Trump has pissed off too many people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                    Are you sure you're not a conservative?
                    I do get a little cheesed off when I hear things like Belgium sold all of its tanks because they figure the US will just cover any fights for them. Each member of the alliance has to actually contribute a meaningful amount according to their ability or it isn't really an alliance.

Comment

I do get a little cheesed off when I hear things like Belgium sold all of its tanks because they figure the US will just cover any fights for them. Each member of the alliance has to actually contribute a meaningful amount according to their ability or it isn't really an alliance.
                      Belgium doesn't need to have tanks. They don't face external threats. You seem to be buying into Trumps bull****. The man doesn't even know anything about defense.

Comment

With fascism on the rise in Europe, the EU fracturing, and a growing view in the US that the rest of NATO are "freeloaders" ... Belgium and everyone else on the continent may very well need some of their own defence in the not so distant future.

A fascist Europe is a scary place.

Comment

I think some are exaggerating the threats. But that's just me.

Comment

The future is uncertain, which is why it's best to have a plan for if things go badly. It's better to have a strong military and not need to use it, than to lack a strong military and need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
                              Belgium doesn't need to have tanks. They don't face external threats. You seem to be buying into Trumps bull****. The man doesn't even know anything about defense.

First of all, no, I am not a Trump supporter and second of all look at the dates of the posts in this thread as it predates Trump's statements. Also, yes, Belgium does need to have an actual military so it can actually contribute to the joint defense otherwise why should everyone else contribute instead of deciding to try to freeload as well? There should be minimum contribution levels in order to remain in the alliances so that their are both benefits and responsibilities that are shared.

Comment

Defence spending in Europe is going up. Especially in the East of Europe.

Belgium is an exception.

The Greeks spend the most as a percentage of GDP after the U.S.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X