Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tukish Military Does What The Turkish Military Does Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
    Meanwhile there are several indications that Erdogan knew about the coup beforehand and allowed to let it happen,
    because he knew it would politically be beneficial for him.
    Not really sure Erdogan qualifies as a diabolical, evil mastermind.

Originally posted by Emperor Palpatine
    The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed, but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger... In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society...
    Last edited by Lorizael; July 17, 2016, 12:55.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Lori, the theory he is eluding to is that Erdogan was planning a purge just like he has done or attempted to do in the past. Some of those targeted decided to move first and that was why the coup was sloppy, rushed, and amateurish. I haven't seen evidence for this but at this point we probably won't even if it was true. Erdogan has his propaganda meme and he will stick to it just like he had his propaganda in the 2003 and 2013 purges which the courts threw put because all of the evidence was fabricated (that was the findings of the courts).

It also explains why Ergodan's first action was to arrest most of the judges he did not appoint. Given that there has been no free press in Turkey for years now (see what happened to Zaman) who will challenge the dictator now that the judiciary has been purged?
      Last edited by Dinner; July 17, 2016, 23:45.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
        They didn't have enough upper level support it appears. Erdogan is dragging his country into the dark ages.
        They had it but generals chickened out for some reason. So, while almost all first preorganized actions were successful, a coup obviously lacked organization after that. Organizers chickened out and didn't do anything instead of taking control and continuing the coup.
        Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar View Post
          They had it but generals chickened out for some reason. So, while almost all first preorganized actions were successful, a coup obviously lacked organization after that. Organizers chickened out and didn't do anything instead of taking control and continuing the coup.
          In other words they didn't really have a key leader like Abdel El-Sisi.

El-Sisi took the entire economy and turned it around from what I've heard. Eliminating the domestic energy crisis (and now Egypt produces surplus power) and improving Egypt's credit rating and outlook.

I'm pretty sure after this Turkey is going to get a downgrade.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Ellestar View Post
            It kind of reminds me of the 1991 Soviet coup.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              It kind of reminds me of the 1991 Soviet coup.
              Definitely ... although one has to admit that in case of the russian coup leaders they held out for 3 days ...
              not just for a few hours as in case of the turkish coup
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Coup Coup Cachoup
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I've fallen for The Mad Monk's subliminal messaging, and now envisage the coup plotters who have escaped driving tuk-tuks to make ends meet. That, or the military purges mean that tuk-tuk drivers are to be upgraded to tank duty.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Comment

Heil Erdogan

He now has its Ermächtigungsgesetz by declaring a state of emergency in Turkey.

Now, for 3 months, he has the absolute powers of a dictator in Turkey, with no parliamentary checks and balances

The coup was a success ... i.e. the one by Erdogan, not the one by the military
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Inkerclik hasn't had it's power restored yet. I can see Erdogan trying to run out their power reserves, while the US does nothing and then storming the base to try to take the Nukes. The US better do something.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          Inkerclik hasn't had it's power restored yet. I can see Erdogan trying to run out their power reserves, while the US does nothing and then storming the base to try to take the Nukes. The US better do something.
                          This also would mean that he gets expulsed from NATO ... I still think that Erdogan is sane enough to not want this

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                            Heil Erdogan

He now has its Ermächtigungsgesetz by declaring a state of emergency in Turkey.

Now, for 3 months, he has the absolute powers of a dictator in Turkey, with no parliamentary checks and balances

The coup was a success ... i.e. the one by Erdogan, not the one by the military
                            I would suggest major sanctions on Turkey at this point. Teach them a lesson.

By the way, people are suggesting some crazy things... lets just say the US cuts military support for Turkey... most of his military is US built/supported. If they suddenly get no more parts, it would be a disaster for them.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

This also would mean that he gets expulsed from NATO ... I still think that Erdogan is sane enough to not want this
                              Who would kick him out? Obama?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                                Who would kick him out? Obama?
                                An attack on a NATO base with seizing nuclear weapons would raise every NATO countries (including th USA) desire to kick him out, no matter the strategic location/usefulness of Turkey

While NATO surely wouldn't do anything if Erdogan installs a dictatorship, this surely will be different if he attacks NATO bases.

And Erdogan still needs NATO, considering the fact that he ****ed up his relationship with the russians (which is something the simple excuse by Erdogan won't heal) ... Putin surely wouldn't be averse to initiating a little russian south expansion, if Erdogan gets kicked out of NATO

Comment

Working...
                                X