Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is is better for a society to be mostly Christian or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is is better for a society to be mostly Christian or not?

It looks like the US is definitely turning into a mostly non-christian country. The republican party is even abandoning us. No sympathy requested.

Anyway, many say it's better for society to be secular, but I have to say that I don't see the US progressing.

I'll leave it there for now because I want to see what others have to say. That is, except the usual people who **** on my thread. I respectfully request that the thread****ing not begin until At least page 3.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

It is much better for the sake of equality and freedom that a society becomes more secular. You can't force your Christianity onto others.

That is, except the usual people who **** on my thread.
    With pleasure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f9250b7349f099caf67b1678a9ae93b4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	9102616

That car is your thread.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Freedom is a good education. Freedom is being able to talk to people that are able to comprehend. Freedom is not having to worry about being shot. Freedom is having a good job and being financially independent on the government or anyone else.
      Last edited by Kidlicious; July 13, 2016, 21:34.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
        Freedom is a good education. Freedom is being able to talk to people that are able to comprehend. Freedom is not having to worry about being shot. Freedom is having a good job and being financially dependent on the government or anyone else.
        Nothing that conservatives or right wingers guarantee. You won't be able to get a good education or even a job. Conservatives also guarantee higher crime rates.

Also I think your last sentence is missing a word. But who is being "Dependent" on the federal government? Third world states like Kansas (which is now broke). Go figure!

It's so hilarious you're concerned about education and jobs... when your views destroy education and jobs!
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

depends on what not is

Comment

I'm going to ignore you at least until page 4.

X post

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              depends on what not is
              Is there any society that has the potential to progress the way American society progressed up until the 1960a or 70a?

Comment

It would be better if everyone was Jainist.

As for society not progressing ... that's silly.

(rounded dates)
                150 years ago: Slavery abolished
                100 years ago: Women's Suffrage
                50 years ago: Civil Rights
                10-20 years ago: Violent crime decreases
                1 year ago: Gay Marriage
                1 week ago: Pokemon Go gets millions of shut ins out into reality (sorta)

Comment

Is there any society that has the potential to progress the way American society progressed up until the 1960a or 70a?
                  why did we stop progressing in the 60s or 70s?

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                    It would be better if everyone was Jainist.

As for society not progressing ... that's silly.

(rounded dates)
                    150 years ago: Slavery abolished
                    100 years ago: Women's Suffrage
                    50 years ago: Civil Rights
                    10-20 years ago: Violent crime decreases
                    1 year ago: Gay Marriage
                    1 week ago: Pokemon Go gets millions of shut ins out into reality (sorta)
                    The top three occurred when America was clearly a mostly Christian society. The violent crimes decrease is mostly the result of generational changes. In fact violent crimes spiked when America was becoming more secular. It's decreased now as the younger generation isn't as violent, but I don't think you want to base your argument on the success of the millennials.

Comment

why did we stop progressing in the 60s or 70s?
                      A lot of it has to do with the breakdown of the family and community.

Comment

drug wars do have that effect

Comment

drug wars do have that effect
                          That's part of it. Families and communities are destroyed. They are also destroyed when family members use drugs.

I forgot t mention schools. Schools went down hill fast in the 70s. I became a teacher in the 90s. The public really doesn't now how bad the schools are. I believe this is a function of liberalism. They are constantly trying to fix the schools but they can't because the only solutions they will ever come up with are liberal, because they are all liberal.

Comment

That's part of it. Families and communities are destroyed. They are also destroyed when family members use drugs.
                            people have always used drugs, banning them destroys communities

Comment

The top three occurred when America was clearly a mostly Christian society. The violent crimes decrease is mostly the result of generational changes. In fact violent crimes spiked when America was becoming more secular. It's decreased now as the younger generation isn't as violent, but I don't think you want to base your argument on the success of the millennials.
                              This is false. Violent crime decreased during the Clinton administration when America moved away from the Reagan years.

But you're making a false correlation anyways. Christianity doesn't have anything to do with violent crime increasing/decreasing. In fact violent crime shot up during the 1980s right about during the Reagan years...

Comment

Working...
                              X