Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is is better for a society to be mostly Christian or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    I said America wasn't progressing because most people aren't Christian, You don't seem to be able to respond to that.
    This is where you implied that progress is a function of how predominantly Christian a nation is. It's not a straw man to point out the absurdity of your implication.

Comment

I remember fez used to be called BAM.

This is his posting style, and it's always been this way. You say X+Y=Z. Then he says no, A+B=C, with a bunch on nonsense following it. Then he calls you stupid and says someone should throw you from a helicopter.

Can't wait for elok to get a taste of it, since he's so impressed.
      I am far more civilized and level headed now than in my youth. Unlike you, I actually grew up and matured. I educated myself. I also am in a relationship. I am not a self repressed psycho like you.

Truthfully I just needed to be ****ed. That was all.
      Last edited by Giancarlo; July 14, 2016, 22:46.
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
        This is where you implied that progress is a function of how predominantly Christian a nation is. It's not a straw man to point out the absurdity of your implication.
        The bulk of the progress you mentioned happened when America was predominantly Christian. If you want to know why Lincoln freed the slaves read his speeches. Hint: It had nothing to do with forcing people to bake you cakes.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo View Post
          I am far more civilized and level headed now than in my youth. Unlike you, I actually grew up and matured. I educated myself. I also am in a relationship. I am not a self repressed psycho like you.

Truthfully I just needed to be ****ed. That was all.
          I have never told anyone they should be thrown from a helicopter. I've also never acted like you have since you've been back. This is intended to be a serious thread. I ask you one more time not to **** all over it,

Comment

Lincoln didn't free any slaves

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
              Lincoln didn't free any slaves
              He was the Commander in Chief of the Union Army. Yes he did.

Comment

you're right

Comment

The bulk of the progress you mentioned happened when America was predominantly Christian. If you want to know why Lincoln freed the slaves read his speeches. Hint: It had nothing to do with forcing people to bake you cakes.
                  So? Your claim that how predominantly Christian a nation is dictates whether it progresses or not is stupid.

Comment

So? Your claim that how predominantly Christian a nation is dictates whether it progresses or not is stupid.
                    That's your argument? That my argument is stupid? Why is it stupid? Let me guess, because it's stupid?

Comment

It's stupid because there are countless examples throughout history that refute it. Both by progress of non Christians and by stagnation or even regression of Christians.

Comment

It's stupid because there are countless examples throughout history that refute it. Both by progress of non Christians and by stagnation or even regression of Christians.
                        Are you talking about economic progress? Compare the French Revolution to the American Revolution. Look at China. Hasn't progressed, but maybe it will if Christianity grows.

Comment

Any kind of progress that isn't along the lines of "how many Christians do you have?"

Your claim that China hasn't progressed is absurdly stupid.

Comment

Japan?

The economy of Japan is the third-largest in the world by nominal GDP and the fourth-largest by purchasing power parity (PPP), and is the world's second largest developed economy.
                            Christianity in Japan is among the nation's minority religions. Fewer than one percent of the population claims Christian belief or affiliation.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Well, lets look at medieval times.
                              At those the muslim countries were more developed than western christian countries.
                              Why? Because the Sultans at this times had some rudimentary early form of religious freedom, alloweda certain freedom for science (well, more freedom than in the christian western world) and also made good use of experts regardless of their religion.

It all changed when during the renaissance greek/roman humanist values were rediscovered and afterwards the christian church lost more and more influence on western society (and its government).

I would say it clearly shows one thing:
                              It is best for society if the influence of religious fundamentalists (regardless of religion) is kept as small as possible and (most importantly) when government and religion are strictly separated

Had the church kept the influence on western society and governments it had during medieval times, I am sure that we our scientific progress would be backwards by around 1-2 centuries .... and very likely we would still be living in a feudal society (with a class of heridatory nobility that rules the country)
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Pretty sure Ben has just his bachelors in History. The rest is mostly standard coursework toward the physics/astronomy degree he loves to talk about but never got. It's been documented in other old threads where Ben claimed his credentials were awesome
                                Yep, pretty much. And my employer doesn't have much love for Ed degrees.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X