No announcement yet.

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there really not enough ****ing threads about BK already?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Elok is a nerd.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Apparently not!

I already said 2.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Actually your opinion was one I was hoping to get.

And this isn't necessarily about BK, we already knew he's a monster and how he would answer.

I was hoping some of he other religious posters would chime in.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

And this isn't necessarily about BK, we already knew he's a monster and how he would answer.
            The curious part is that you're requiring *validation* of your opinion.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

If any child of mine, gay or straight, seriously wanted to incorporate that barbaric leftover from the Salic Law into her wedding, my first question would be where I went wrong as a parent. Making it a gay wedding to boot would be relatively trivial. Obviously this is not an Orthodox wedding--aside from the gay thing, ours is structured such that the give-away would be near-impossible--so we're talking about condoning a civil marriage, no blasphemy here. I'd be seriously queasy, but mostly because of the part where my daughter is not my damn property. If I'm going to be giving her away, the other party had better at least be giving me some livestock and such as a dowry. None of this half-assing it.

If the modernizers did somehow take over the OC and incorporate both customs, I would not attend at all simply as a refusal to condone what would amount to the destruction of my religion. In a civil wedding, even if I didn't do the walk-down I would at least attend, unless the other bride were intolerably horrid.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

In a civil wedding, even if I didn't do the walk-down I would at least attend, unless the other bride were intolerably horrid.
                Because you are a real parent.
                Thanks for answering such a personal question.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  The curious part is that you're requiring *validation* of your opinion.
                  No, not quite. It was more to make fun of your opinion. And it's been quite successful.

Actually I did want the opinion of other religious posters. You're kind of an outlier.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Actually I did want the opinion of other religious posters. You're kind of an outlier.
                    Sure. One thing you have to recall, rah - my family is not religious. Never has been. Many of the opinions you throw at me here are the stuff I get thrown at everyday. Just the other day I had a long talk with a family member who took the time to call me this morning to continue on the conversation.

When you say, "why can't you be accepting" you have a very different perspective when it's the one Catholic sitting out. She, I'm sure, would be broadly welcomed by extended family, etc. For I know that many of them would see it as a way to settle very old scores.

Yes, I am the outlier. You see me as a monster, but hard decisions are generally made slowly, over time.

I would not try to stop her. I would warn her of the consequences, and have a long conversation. If she chose to continue on with the path, or announce something of the sort and then invite me, I would decline.

I would not say, "you're going to hell", I would simple say what I did here.

I have an obligation to my family to lead them into the church, and away from sin and death. She would always be my daughter. And I would always love her, enough to be that one voice saying that this is not the way.

I have seen enough of it from the other side. it is not an easy, or happy way, but very lonely.

Comment

I really don't care. You portray yourself as a monster. I don't have to.
                      I don't care about your family, I don't care about your childhood. If you want to blame your shortcomings on all of that, fine.
                      I just thought that being handicapped and discriminated against like you have talked about here, would make you a bit more tolerant of others. Instead it made you cold. So yes, I don't need any other details. I don't like you enough to want to know.
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I just thought that being handicapped and discriminated against like you have talked about here, would make you a bit more tolerant of others. Instead it made you cold.
                        People who have been bullied in the past have little tolerance for it.

Comment

Let's talk about Satan, you guise.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            I really don't care. You portray yourself as a monster. I don't have to.
                            I don't care about your family, I don't care about your childhood. If you want to blame your shortcomings on all of that, fine.
                            I just thought that being handicapped and discriminated against like you have talked about here, would make you a bit more tolerant of others. Instead it made you cold. So yes, I don't need any other details. I don't like you enough to want to know.
                            He tries to be so "civil" and passive about it (rather passive-aggressive). Ben is easily one of the most nasty people on here and I've seen that over the years of lurking. He's probably one of those "soft spoken" pushy Christian types that is nothing more than a wolf in sheep's clothing.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

And when people call him out on it, it's not his problem, it's theirs'.

And then he pretends he doesn't care but will spend hours responding to every attack.

But we need more people answering the question.
                              Let's get to it folks.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1, but like Elok, I'd wonder where I went wrong in that I (a) didn't manage to convince my daughter that marriage is dumb and (b) had a child.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X