No announcement yet.

Which Religion's Slavers Were Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incidentally, I sometimes wonder if sola scriptura was not in some sense inherited from Islam.
    The influence is more secular. It comes from Erasmus. It's not a coincidence that the secularism associated with the renaissance - that "scholars have finally thrown off ancient religion", that the same would happen with Christianity. If you believe that your present society has caught up to the ancients then it makes perfect sense to elevate the modern over the ancient. An impulse that persists today. To the 12th century European, telling him that the world of today was better than the world of Greece and Rome meant no sense, when the scholars all used Greek and Latin, and you're still using Roman roads and Roman infrastructure to get around.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      Coming from somebody who usually responds to people with insults... funny stuff.

And the bible says some great things about slavery, women, homosexuals and non-believers also... so what's your point.
      Your view that slavery is a central theme of Islam is just pure stupidity on your part and shows just how much you must hate Islam.

Tell that to all the people that have lost their lives to Christians... And tell that to all the children that Catholic priests have raped and then covered up simply to save face.
      Your "peaceful religion" isn't all that peaceful either.
      You're confusing the religion with what the followers do. I never claimed that Christians don't sin, or that people don't claim to be Christians to make it easier for them to do horrible things. I'm talking about the religion. Maybe you're too stupid to know the difference, maybe not. Maybe this is some sort of mental illness in your part.

My point is people can claim to be Muslim, but not believe in Islam. There really is no point in continuing this discussion with you, so I will just start ridiculing you, as you deserve.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

So, while I'm not a mod or anything like one, could I kindly ask you guys to take this stuff somewhere else? We've got Lori, C0ckney, JM, me, and everybody else ready to discuss this whole new subject I can't recall us ever discussing before, and you're dumping the same old "HEY DESIGNATED HORRIBLE PERSON OF THE FORUM YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON." Well no ****.
        If you're going to start threads that bash Christianity, expect to get criticism from Christians. I didn't start this. Lori did and got pissy when he didn't get the lovefest he expected. "oh, look Christianity really is the devil."
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          The influence is more secular. It comes from Erasmus. It's not a coincidence that the secularism associated with the renaissance - that "scholars have finally thrown off ancient religion", that the same would happen with Christianity. If you believe that your present society has caught up to the ancients then it makes perfect sense to elevate the modern over the ancient. An impulse that persists today. To the 12th century European, telling him that the world of today was better than the world of Greece and Rome meant no sense, when the scholars all used Greek and Latin, and you're still using Roman roads and Roman infrastructure to get around.
          Bull

Catholicism is paganistic. It's a rejection of Paganism.

Comment

Catholicism is paganistic. It's a rejection of Paganism.
            Erasmus was a Catholic, and he did the translations for Luther because he couldn't read Greek.

Comment

Erasmus was a Catholic, and he did the translations for Luther because he couldn't read Greek.
              And? Early Christians believed in Sola Scriptura, right?

Comment

If Catholics were Pagan then so was Luther. He was a Catholic priest too.

And? Early Christians believed in Sola Scriptura, right?
                If they did, why is Luther the first exponent of it?

Comment

If Catholics were Pagan then so was Luther. He was a Catholic priest too.

If they did, why is Luther the first exponent of it?
                  Are you saying that early Christians were not concerned with the influence of Paganism on Christianity? I suggest you re-read the epistles. It pretty much covers separation from Paganism in depth.

Comment

Are you saying that early Christians were not concerned with the influence of Paganism on Christianity? I suggest you re-read the epistles. It pretty much covers separation from Paganism in depth.
                    I'm arguing that if Catholics were pagan than so was Luther, as a priest of a pagan religion. I'm not sure how you get around that. Unless of course you argue that the Catholics after Trent were pagan but the Catholics before were not.

Comment

I'm arguing that if Catholics were pagan than so was Luther, as a priest of a pagan religion. I'm not sure how you get around that. Unless of course you argue that the Catholics after Trent were pagan but the Catholics before were not.
                      I'm not arguing that all Catholics were pagan in their beliefs. It was ruled that Sola Scripture was a false teaching at the Council of Trent. That makes it certain that some Catholics believed in Sola Scripture. If Luther believed in Sole Scripture how can he be pagan?

Comment

I'm not arguing that all Catholics were pagan in their beliefs. It was ruled that Sola Scripture was a false teaching at the Council of Trent. That makes it certain that some Catholics believed in Sola Scripture. If Luther believed in Sole Scripture how can he be pagan?
                        Simple, I'm not arguing Luther was Pagan.

If some Catholics were not pagan in their beliefs, how do you distinguish between pagan and non pagan Catholics?

Comment

Soo.... Christians actually freed the slaves?
                          Pro-Slavery christians = Shipped 12.5 million human beings across the Atlantic in chains, around 1.8m died during the crossing, and countless millions more were worked to death, tortured, raped and murdered by their Christian 'owners'.

Anti-Slavery christians = Finally managed to abolish slavery after around 300 years and a civil war that caused the deaths of a further 700-900,000 human beings.

Ben = Thinks Christians should be thanked for abolishing slavery...

Comment

Simple, I'm not arguing Luther was Pagan.

If some Catholics were not pagan in their beliefs, how do you distinguish between pagan and non pagan Catholics?
                            I'm saying that it was not acceptable to claim that oral tradition was equivalent to Scripture before the Council of Trent. I'm suggesting that the influence of Paganism was behind oral tradition becoming equivalent. Do you have an alternate explanation?

Comment

Pro-Slavery christians = Shipped 12.5 million human beings across the Atlantic in chains, around 1.8m died during the crossing, and countless millions more were worked to death, tortured, raped and murdered by their Christian 'owners'.

Anti-Slavery christians = Finally managed to abolish slavery after around 300 years and a civil war that caused the deaths of a further 700-900,000 human beings.
                              And you claim to be English? Slavery was abolished in the Empire well before the Civil War. Do they even teach history in England these days? The whole 'underground railroad' thing existed because slavery had been abolished in the Empire...

Ben = Thinks Christians should be thanked for abolishing slavery...
                              Why shouldn't we be?

Comment

I'm saying that it was not acceptable to claim that oral tradition was equivalent to Scripture before the Council of Trent. I'm suggesting that the influence of Paganism was behind oral tradition becoming equivalent. Do you have an alternate explanation?
                                Where does Trent say anything about oral tradition?

Comment

Working...
                                X