No announcement yet.

Why was The Oregon Trail never copied?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was The Oregon Trail never copied?

Or if it was copied, why weren't the copies successful?

For those of you who aren't familiar, The Oregon Trail was an old Apple game where you took control of a party of settlers headed along the namesake trail, trying to reach the Willamette Valley with as many of your original party (and as much of their stuff) as possible. Essentially the whole game was an exercise in weighing of risks and costs--do I pay the Indians to help me across this river, or try to float the wagon and maybe lose more than I would have paid? Do I want this other stuff enough to trade this supply for it? Can I make do with this much, or will I have to just buy more further along the trail at an inflated price? The whole thing was livened up by occasional minigames, like hunting for food or rafting down a river.

The game was very simple in terms of programming, with little animation and no AI beyond the aimless wandering of hunted animals in front of your sights. It was essentially a big database of variables to manage. And it was FUN. But aside from one sequel--and a rather daft "Amazon Trail" knockoff where you're boating around in the jungle catching fish, like that's supposed to be fun--the general framework was never copied. There were other games incorporating logistics, to be sure, but no more expedition games of that type that I can recall. And the general scheme could easily be copied to any milieu you like, from history to fantasy to sci-fi, with any number of tweaks. But that never happened. Why, do you think?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Apart from the hundreds of almost identical games, and spawning an entire generation of survival games, no it's never been copied..

Comment

I quite liked Yukon Trail when I was a kid.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

A nice educational game from the 1980's which I remember playing as a kid. As to why it was not ever remade... There is probably a limited market for it.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Doesn't young girls playing this usually get raped, murdered and buried in a backyard ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well, it's not really all that fun. You just think it was fun because that's all you had to play..
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I never played it, but apparently EVERY LOCAL TALK SHOW HOST HAS.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                Apart from the hundreds of almost identical games, and spawning an entire generation of survival games, no it's never been copied..
                I am completely unaware of any such games (I'd forgotten about Yukon Trail--is that the Iditarod one?). Did the genre die out, or does it just have really niche appeal?
                1011 1100

Comment

It was hugely popular in schools, apparently.

Comment

I died of dysentery plenty in the early 90s. Played Yukon Trail in middle school, but all I remember about it now is that the graphics were better but the game was dumber.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organ_Trail ..
                      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Yeah, I looked it up on Wiki to see if I was missing something, but aside from that one parody and a bunch of spinoffs by the same company (Amazon, Yukon, some crap somewhere else I can't recall), it doesn't mention any broader industry impact. Why does such an enjoyable (and easy-to-implement) game format get relegated to strictly historical edutainment for grade-schoolers? Was there no space-expedition game where you have to select a crew and supplies to get you to the other end of the galaxy? No RPG mashup where you select a party to find the lost treasure? No conquistadores leading an expedition to trade, negotiate, sneak, bribe or slaughter their way to the Seven Cities of Gold?
                        1011 1100

Comment

Calling Elok a nerd is an artform that takes precision and careful planning.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Was there no space-expedition game where you have to select a crew and supplies to get you to the other end of the galaxy?
                            Oh man I want to play this game with a generation ship.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I remember a game when I was in high school (circa 1984) that was exactly that. It involved a star map and lots of text; it also loaded on a tape recorder and played on a Tandy TRS-80 (Trash 80)

Comment

Working...
                              X