The Reverse Racism Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
    Actually black men are more likely to attack police.
    More likely than who/what?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yeah... and maybe this time he will verify his claims and support them with actual numbers instead of just sprouting something he "heard" about only to be shown that he was wrong yet again.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
        Yep... very predictable that I will continue to point out the major flaw in the study, and that it goes in one ear and out your other.

But please, continue to display your total lack of knowledge on research. It's always worth a good laugh.
        You've been wrong This entire thread. You started out agreeing with a fantasy that the research subjects where told ahead of time that they were being tested to see how likely they were to kill black men because of racial bias, which is an absolutely insane thing to believe with absolute certainty and post it here without checking the truth of the matter. Then you went on to argue that this is just people playing video games and means absolutely nothing. Now you are still claiming that it's still probable that usually when a cop shoots a black man he did so because of his race, despite the evidence that suggests that that is less likely,
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The best test in the world is worthless if the sample is wrong. As even she notes, it wasn't a very diversified sample. Plus, they were all from the same town.
          Any attempt to project these results beyond Spokane is worthless.

As rah said, let me know when they do this on a bigger scale, with a national and diverse sample... then the results may be worth looking at.
          I don't think you got my point.

I was reacting to your seemingly dismissive attitude toward this study. I was pointing out the seriousness with which it had be done. According to the report, they did it the best they can do, they tried to improve the previous data (based only on immobile, non imersive situations).
          You glorified the Harvard IAT while dismissing this study, I just pointed out they used that "worthwhile" test of yours to calibrate their sample.

Now, I also disagree with you about the worthlessness of this study. If you have worked in science, you should know that even a failed experiment has some value.

As they pointed out in their conclusion, the simulation produced results opposite to the IAT ones, and they proposed 3 hypothesis to explain why.
          - Biased scenario?
          Were scenarios with White and Black suspects different enough that Black suspects were consistently considered by participants to be less threatening?
          - Observer effect?
          did participants behave in a particular way to appear unbiased to the researchers monitoring them?
          Although this possibility cannot be completely discounted, there are several reasons why we believe it is not a primary cause of the reverse racism effect.
          - Social Pressure
          The third, and we argue most likely, possibility that explains the underlying causes of the reverse racism effect is rooted in people's concerns about the social and legal consequences of shooting a member of a historically oppressed racial group.

Sometimes a scientific experiment allows to discover something that was not the subject of the study. And I think that is something that happened here.
          When people start to behave, on an unconscious level, differently than what they'd behave naturally, it means the idea start to permeate.

So, indeed, maybe this was done on a limited sample of people, in a specific neighbourhood, but if hypothesis 3 is correct, it is indicative of some phenomenon at work.
          From my POV, it at least shows that in some places, the effects of anti-racist messages are permeating. Which is a good thing.

So, I was disagreing with the worthlessness of this study.
          In worst case it will be useful for the next one (hopefully more relevant), in the best case, it showed something... unexpected.
          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Please quote where I ever say "Now you are still claiming that it's still probable that usually when a cop shoots a black man he did so because of his race"
            I've repeatedly said, like the author of the study, that the study was limited. And also that the sample base sucks since it was done in a single town and can't be projected on a national basis. I've also don't think that simulations are the best way to do study.

You are the one that posted this very limited study to prove some point... and pointed to it like it was the absolute truth.

And in reality, the author thinks it's limited and would like to expand it into a real research study.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

despite the evidence that suggests that that is less likely,
              I'm questioning that evidence. (or at least the study you seem to be relying on here)
              Or did you offer other evidence that I missed? Sometimes I skim read your posts due to lack of coherent content.

I work in the research field so I do have considerable knowledge in this area.

The sample was non-representative. The methodology is questionable but not a show stopper. I'd like to see it replicated.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                More likely than who/what?
                This is what I was referring to in the other thread, but didn't say it right...
                "
                Police officers—of all races—are also disproportionately endangered by black assailants. Over the past decade, according to FBI data, 40% of cop killers have been black. Officers are killed by blacks at a rate 2.5 times higher than the rate at which blacks are killed by police."

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Please quote where I ever say "Now you are still claiming that it's still probable that usually when a cop shoots a black man he did so because of his race"
                  I've repeatedly said, like the author of the study, that the study was limited. And also that the sample base sucks since it was done in a single town and can't be projected on a national basis. I've also don't think that simulations are the best way to do study.

You are the one that posted this very limited study to prove some point... and pointed to it like it was the absolute truth.

And in reality, the author thinks it's limited and would like to expand it into a real research study.
                  I'm going to just ignore you the way I do BK when you act exactly like him. There's no point in continuing.

Comment

That link requires a registration to read the full article.
                    Can you post the whole thing here.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      I'm questioning that evidence. (or at least the study you seem to be relying on here)
                      Or did you offer other evidence that I missed? Sometimes I skim read your posts due to lack of coherent content.

I work in the research field so I do have considerable knowledge in this area.

The sample was non-representative. The methodology is questionable but not a show stopper. I'd like to see it replicated.
                      I can't wait for it to be replicated, but this is all we have right now. All we can do is speculate. But your brother doesn't seem to understand the significance of this study. The only reason researchers are going to try to replicate the findings is because of this study.

Comment

But what we have now is flawed due to all the issues mentioned that I won't bother to repeat. That must be recognized. And until it is replicated, it shouldn't be used as proof of anything.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

But what we have now is flawed due to all the issues mentioned that I won't bother to repeat. That must be recognized. And until it is replicated, it shouldn't be used as proof of anything.
                          What issues? What your brother said?.
                          I didn't say there is proof. In fact, I just said that I can't wait to see if they replicate the findings. What does that tell you.

What I said is that it is less likely that blacks are shot by cops because of their race based on the findings here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            What I said is that it is less likely that blacks are shot by cops because of their race based on the findings here.
                            How much less likely is it?
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

That link requires a registration to read the full article.
                              Can you post the whole thing here.
                              Damn it. It let me read it the first time. I don't have a subscription. I'll have to find another source.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                                How much less likely is it?
                                What does it matter? That doesn't have anything to do with anything else said here,

Comment

Working...
                                X