Catholic Answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
    Mortal sins such as murder get you sent to hell if you fail to make reconciliation for them. Veniel sins aka "minor" sins get you sent to purgatory instead
    Or such as using the Lord's name in vain. http://www.followthissite.com/list-of-sins.php

Looks like most people are going straight to Hell, a small minority is going to Purgatory, and no one is going straight to Heaven.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I think Free Will Baptist is the closest thing to Catholic for protestants. I think the general belief for protestants is that if you believe in Jesus you are saved. That means you become part of his family and never go to Hell or anything like it. I don't see any reason for Purgatory from a protestant perspective.

Comment

We seem to have two schools of thought here on Catholicism, the BK School and the Ming School. I probably should have written the Ming school first since no one really thinks BK is a real catholic except Nikolai and I haven't seen him around lately.
        Well, I am confirmed and that was 10 years ago. So last I checked I was a 'real Catholic'. I'm happy to cite the catechism.

Anyway, my question is what if a child molester priest went to Purgatory. Could another catholic pray him into Heaven?
        One, molestation is a mortal sin so in order for a priest (or anyone else who has molested someone), they would have to confess their sins and do their time in jail before they would be forgiven. If they died in jail or died afterwards then it is a possibility.

Two. everyone who goes into purgatory, will, eventually, go into heaven. If you're going to hell, you're not going to purgatory first.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If you can pray people into heaven doesn't that make everyone redeemable?
          No, because those who are in hell don't stop in purgatory on the way there. This is a common misconception. Praying for someone who has died can reduce their time in purgatory, but it doesn't do anything for them should they be in Hell.
          Last edited by Ben Kenobi; June 5, 2016, 02:05.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Do some people go straight to hell? What do you have to do to go straight to hell?
            Commit a mortal sin and then die without confessing it.

Comment

I don't see any reason for Purgatory from a protestant perspective.
              What happens if you're bapitized and join the church and then kill someone. How would you be reconciled to God?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Well, I am confirmed and that was 10 years ago. So last I checked I was a 'real Catholic'. I'm happy to cite the catechism.

One, molestation is a mortal sin so in order for a priest (or anyone else who has molested someone), they would have to confess their sins and do their time in jail before they would be forgiven. If they died in jail or died afterwards then it is a possibility.

Two. everyone who goes into purgatory, will, eventually, go into heaven. If you're going to hell, you're not going to purgatory first.
                But if they didn't go to jail they could go to heaven if someone prays for them, even if they aren't sorry?

Comment

What happens if you're bapitized and join the church and then kill someone. How would you be reconciled to God?
                  There's some gray area. What do you mean kill? From a catholic perspective I believe you mean that you have thought well about it and decided that it's evil to kill but you want to do it anyway. That means that you don't really believe in God, obeying God. Therefore you aren't a Christian.

That's kind of they Free Will Baptist theology. But how can you believe in killing and believe in God? You can't believe in both.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    There's some gray area. What do you mean kill? From a catholic perspective I believe you mean that you have thought well about it and decided that it's evil to kill but you want to do it anyway. That means that you don't really believe in God, obeying God. Therefore you aren't a Christian.

Of course this also leads into the interesting of killing for the catholic church ... for example as part of crusades
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                      Of course this also leads into the interesting of killing for the catholic church ... for example as part of crusades
                      Remember, they only knew what the Church told them. They didn't have bibles.

Comment

True ... they had no real reasons to disbelieve the Vicar of Jesus Christ, when he told them that all their sins would be forgiven if they take part in the crusade and kill heathens in the name of Jesus (after all it was the head of the holy church who told it to them)

(which btw. also brings up the questions what happens to popes in their afterlife, who (mis-) use their power in order to drag people into wars and are unrepentive about it)
                        Last edited by Proteus_MST; June 4, 2016, 20:19.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

But I can't post in your thrade until I get a new phone.

So, can I ask you a question? According to you, is it easy or hard to get into heaven (assuming I'm correct that you believe that you can work your way to heaven).
                          It was SUPPOSED to be easy, in YHWH's grand design, before Satan realized that YHWH would be the unchallenged supreme master over 2 full universes of loyal armies. But YHWH was never playing with a... full deck, so to speak. But we are treading waters that I will cover in my next Chapter of the AAHZ-Thrade™ so I will stop this point here and get back to your question, trying to be as concise as possible...

To YOU, or me, it may seem easy as we are both loyal and play by THE RULES we believe laid out for us by our respective gods. But some people NEVER understand, and never will. People don't become Angels because they love to sin too much. And people don't become Demons because they are too corrupt and disloyal to anything BUT sinning... and not Satan. They also get reborn several lifetimes, and may get kicked out of Heaven or Hell many times before understanding. This may be your 5th attempt.

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                          What if Satans army of evil at Armageddon would consist of lots of children?
                          Wouldn't child molesting priests in this case be considered especially fit for duty?
                          Satan does not want rowdy, inexperienced, fragile CHILDREN as grand Demons attempting to destroy the likes of the CHERUBIM!

Plus there are no CHILDREN in Hell, unless Beelzebub gave someone that form. They would be considered UNFINISHED in their trials and be reborn in our universe, unless decided otherwise, and given a FULL DEMON form. But again we are covering ground I will cover in another Chapter of my AAHZ-Thrade™ so I will stop there.

You're screwed. YHWH may forgive you to the point of not sending you to Hell. But since Purgatory doesn't exist, and not to offend you too much I will stop there and simply say that you might have another express ticket to this Universe... for another rebirth and chance to try again.

Unless YHWH DOESN'T forgive you and kicks your ass straight to Hell where Satan will... EVALUATE you.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

But if they didn't go to jail they could go to heaven if someone prays for them, even if they aren't sorry?
                            No. They would go straight to hell if they committed a mortal sin and were unrepentant.

Comment

That is the problem with Protestant theology. There is no way for someone who has committed a mortal sin to be reconciled. God is very clear. Someone who has sinned and repents will be reconciled.

Comment

Actually, yes they had bibles back then. They call them Vulgates.

As for Crusaders - it depends on your position concerning war and self defense. The Catholic church would argue it is not a sin to fight to protect other Christians who had been attacked by Muslims.

Comment

Working...
                                X