No announcement yet.

Groundhog Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what happens when you outsource forum ownership to the third world.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I REALLY wish I wasn't out of thanks.
      AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
      JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
        This is what happens when you outsource forum ownership to the third world.
        A good chuckle. But in all fairness, we were worse.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

OMG!

We've lost several threads and posts since february in "Civilization en español" subforum and some new game threads in its Multiplayer section (new Columbia pitboss game, for example) .

It would be a lot of effort to recreate it

I'm sad
          Hosting and playing the Civ4BtS APT
          Ex-Organizador y jugador de Civ4BtS Progressive Games

Comment

Did the "New Posts" search link go away, or am I just missing it?
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Is there still hope for somehow bringing the "lost" content back either entirely or as some kind of archive? My understanding is broken data can usually be recovered to a greater or lesser degree

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                But in all fairness, we were worse.
                I don't recall much about that time period.

But free free to remind us of the gory details of the fvuckups during your tenure.
                Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                  Did the "New Posts" search link go away, or am I just missing it?
                  If you are using Apolyton Blue style then there is a jump to link at the top of the thread. If you use the mobile style there isn't one that I know of.

All the other styles should still work the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
                    Is there still hope for somehow bringing the "lost" content back either entirely or as some kind of archive? My understanding is broken data can usually be recovered to a greater or lesser degree
                    It's more along the lines of missing data than broken data.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
                      I don't recall much about that time period.

But free free to remind us of the gory details of the fvuckups during your tenure.
                      As we get older, our memory fails.

NOT A F***ing chance.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                        It's more along the lines of missing data than broken data.
                        Was it cloud backup? NAS server? reel to reel tape drive? temporal anomaly data crystals? binary engravings on stone tablets?

Was the media (of whatever sort) simply blank?

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo View Post
                          Was it cloud backup? NAS server? reel to reel tape drive? temporal anomaly data crystals? binary engravings on stone tablets?

Was the media (of whatever sort) simply blank?
                          The backups were stored on Amazon S3. The problem is that the backups themselves were incomplete from Feb 2 on. The files on the server were being synced correctly but the database wasn't. The posts and threads never were getting there.

When I transferred the database backup back to restore the Civ V content it lead to all the posts and threads being lost in the database, and the Feb 2 backup was the last complete one.

The host's backup system was being used initially, but began locking up and then crashing the server every time it ran, the backups not completing, so about a year ago I switched to backing up to Amazon. I don't remember specifically what I did on Feb 2 that broke the update process.

Comment

I seem to remember, was it Martin? Who managed to restore most of Apolyton and put it all back together again, after years having large sections missing from the db.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

In that case the data was always there (or someone had it somewhere). In this case the data simply isn't anywhere.

Comment

In that case the data was always there (or someone had it somewhere). In this case the data simply isn't anywhere.
                                Not in your servers or anything? I guess that's what the backup service was for but with it broken, nothing was recording. *sigh*
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X