Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the appropriate degree of (un)certainty to have regarding the state of somebody's soul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are only explaining why you made the assessment you did.
    Well, because Jesus says so is enough for me.

It doesn't matter what reasons lead you to make that assessment
    Uh, I should think that the reasons behind my support for something are important.

You claimed you didn't make an assessment of the state of other people's souls. You lied.
    Where is my judgment towards any one individual soul? I don't know your current state, and nor do I claim to say so. I'm sorry you don't like Jesus, but he said it. Take it up with him.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Jesus didn't say he never assessed anyone's soul. You said you never assessed anyone's soul. You assessed everyone's souls to come to a conclusion about how many of them will make it into heaven. You are lying. Stop trying to pretend Jesus is a liar like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        I claim no special knowledge, only what the Catechism and Christ teaches.
        More exactly:
        You claim no special knowledge, only that what the Catechism teaches and those words that are written in the books of the new testament and supposed to have been said by Jesus (in books that have been selected almost 2 millenia ago under the assumption/pretext that they aere the ones that contain words said by Jesus (while dismissing other books who claim the same things (i.e. containing words of Jesus))

(well, may sound like nitpicking, but IMHO it bis important to remember (because, often humans tend to forget/overlook it) that already "quoting Jesus" rests on an assumption (i.e. the assuzmption that that those who selected the books of the bible selected the right ones and dismissed the right ones) and that therefore already "quoting Jesus" includes a faith component)
        Last edited by Proteus_MST; January 23, 2016, 04:54.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

More exactly:

In the lifetime of those who lived during Christ's life there were books written (including the letter's of Paul). Including all of the ones in the Christian canon (But also including others, Paul/etc refer to other teachings). We have independent (non-biblical) confirmation that the leader's of the early church and students of Christ's students (for example Polycarp) referred to these books. Then much later (200+ years), there was an official 'dismissing' of books that did not agree with the letters of Paul and the letters of the leaders of the church post-Paul.

There were a lot of disagreements, including even the nature of Christ, but that is about interpretation. Not about what Christ's words were.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm under the impression that "Whosoever believes in Me will find eternal life". Pretty much takes guessing out of the equation.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              I'm under the impression that "Whosoever believes in Me will find eternal life". Pretty much takes guessing out of the equation.
              But did he mean it literally?

Comment

Souls are entirely a fantasy belief, since it is a fantasy, you can assign any number you wish. Fantasies are not confined to mundane things like facts, evidence, or reality.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  Souls are entirely a fantasy belief, since it is a fantasy, you can assign any number you wish. Fantasies are not confined to mundane things like facts, evidence, or reality.
                  Ah, this explains why JM thought souls are not observables. You're saying they are fantasy--i.e. imaginary. So souls are non-Hermitian and produce non-real eigenvalues. Got it.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You also have to consider your oversoul and your undersoul.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Jesus didn't say he never assessed anyone's soul.
                      Indeed. I said that Jesus can read hearts and minds and assess everyone's souls.

You said you never assessed anyone's soul.
                      Yes, presumably because I believe that I am not Jesus.

You assessed everyone's souls to come to a conclusion about how many of them will make it into heaven.
                      Mhmm, I quoted Jesus Christ directly when he said that few will see heaven. You don't like that because it doesn't jibe with your universalism, a position pretty much 100 percent condemned by the Church. Take it up with him.

You are lying. Stop trying to pretend Jesus is a liar like you.
                      What am I pretending? Are you arguing that he didn't say what I quoted him as saying? That the Book of Matthew is full of lies about the true nature of Jesus?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

You claim no special knowledge, only that what the Catechism teaches and those words that are written in the books of the new testament and supposed to have been said by Jesus (in books that have been selected almost 2 millenia ago under the assumption/pretext that they aere the ones that contain words said by Jesus (while dismissing other books who claim the same things (i.e. containing words of Jesus))
                        I see it as no different as claiming to understand the laws of geometry through Euclid, or reading Herodotus. It is not special knowledge which only I possess. Anyone can read the Gospels for themselves. That is what I mean by the term, which may be different than how you understand the term.

that already "quoting Jesus" rests on an assumption (i.e. the assuzmption that that those who selected the books of the bible selected the right ones and dismissed the right ones) and that therefore already "quoting Jesus" includes a faith component)
                        Do you believe that Ptolemy wrote the Algamest?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          I see it as no different as claiming to understand the laws of geometry through Euclid, or reading Herodotus. It is not special knowledge which only I possess. Anyone can read the Gospels for themselves. That is what I mean by the term, which may be different than how you understand the term.

Do you believe that Ptolemy wrote the Algamest?
                          Actually it doesn´t matter who wrote the Algamest ... whether it was Ptolemy or a totally different author ... similarly for other historical works of natural sciences. The content of treatises on Astronomy and other natural sciences (as well as mathematics and engineering sciences) is easily veri-/falsifiable by doing experiments, condiucting scientific observations (or dis-/proving mathematical equations).

The total opposite you have for supernatural claims (like the one of ways to ascend to the "heaven" in christianity ).
                          There is absolutely no way (for living beings in nowadays times) to prove any of the supernatural claims written in the bible.
                          Therefore yes, for any supernatural claims written in the bible it should (for a christian) matter a lot, whether it was actually said by Jesus or someone else.
                          How many christians would, for example, believe in "No one comes to the father except through me" if it turned out that it hasn´t actually been said by Jesus, but that instead the author of John heard it from Claudius Cornus Volvulus, the son of his favorite baker in the Via Agrippina of Rome ... and thought it would be a nice thing to include into his gospel.
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Actually it doesn´t matter who wrote the Algamest ... whether it was Ptolemy or a totally different author ... similarly for other historical works of natural sciences. The content of treatises on Astronomy and other natural sciences (as well as mathematics and engineering sciences) is easily veri-/falsifiable by doing experiments, condiucting scientific observations (or dis-/proving mathematical equations).
                            Actually, it does matter whether Ptolemy wrote the Algamest (where it was written), and what data he obtained, and when it was written. Quite significant actually, because we know that he was a compiler, and that some of his stuff was discovered by other people, particularly Hipparchus. The reason he's known today is that his manuscripts survived. And yes, it was significant that not all of his claims were empirically proven. Algamest makes no such assertion as to empiricism.

There is absolutely no way (for living beings in nowadays times) to prove any of the supernatural claims written in the bible.
                            Not all of the bible is supernatural claims. We can accurately date many of the other events in the bible, and be reasonably more assured of their authenticity.

Therefore yes, for any supernatural claims written in the bible it should (for a christian) matter a lot, whether it was actually said by Jesus or someone else.
                            It should actually matter for anybody.

How many christians would, for example, believe in "No one comes to the father except through me" if it turned out that it hasn´t actually been said by Jesus, but that instead the author of John heard it from Claudius Cornus Volvulus, the son of his favorite baker in the Via Agrippina of Rome ... and thought it would be a nice thing to include into his gospel.
                            Not all of Ptolemy's observations were his.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                              Is there a corresponding statement about whosoever doesn't believe in him?

Comment

John 3:15
                                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                                X