Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will future generations condemn you for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will future generations condemn you for?

Assume for the sake of this thread that future generations will remember you (and thus that there will be future generations). Anybody who posts "define 'future' " will be banned (in spirit if it not in fact).

In my case (using the past tense, since I'll probably be dead by the time anybody gets around to condemning me):
    1. Burned fossil fuels
    2. Ate meat
    3. Kept gerbils as pets
    4. Felched fewer than seven nuns
    5. Had more than eight toes
    6. Didn't use a butt bottle to capture and recycle flatus
    7. Distinguished between "blue" and "indigo" on the color spectrum
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Re: your sig, has anyone told Kid that law and order ended six years ago?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Nothing, no one will remember me.

Comment

They will condemn me for not understanding why they condemn me. I don't understand their logic on that.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

We will not remember you.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

7. Distinguished between "blue" and "indigo" on the color spectrum
            Saw that. This is a new trend? Whatever, it's stupid.

Maybe we should rename the color spectrum "rainbow".
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

If history is any guide future generations will blame past generations for... Well... Everything.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

who else would they blame?
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Probably food-born ebola. I really should stop working on this.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

2. Ate meat
                    And what's wrong with that?

I think there's no reason to expect future generations to be particularly more enlightened. They will have their prejudices, hate, and close-mindedness.

To play along though, if they are a more enlightened utopia, I think they will condemn opposition to gay and transgender rights and view abortion through the same lens as we view ancient infanticide. They will be equally shocked by our immense environmental waste: the mountains of plastic and the consumption of fossil fuels.

Depictions of us in future history books (which are probably always dubious) will be of cities strewn with garbage and smog, revolving door abortion clinics, and violence against homosexuals.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think they will condemn opposition to gay and transgender rights and view abortion through the same lens as we view ancient infanticide.
                      I'd be shocked if it ended up with that schizophrenic worldview.

You have Christianity which teaches that both are sinful and you have the secular worldview that teaches that both are not.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        And what's wrong with that?
                        Future generations will control the animal population by teleporting them to another dimension.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                          I'd be shocked if it ended up with that schizophrenic worldview.

You have Christianity which teaches that both are sinful and you have the secular worldview that teaches that both are not.
                          What's schizophrenic about it? I'm assuming a life-affirming utopia.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

What's schizophrenic about it? I'm assuming a life-affirming utopia.
                            We're far more like to chart the course of Huxley. Where we have breeding 'pools' where we get our organs fixed, anything that we want, for the cheap price... of those in the pools who are considered to be subhuman. Bred specifically for that purpose and treated as second class citizens.

We are not far from that worldview today. We already have outright organ harvesting that is backed by the state. What's the difference between this and Huxley's view? Not very much.

It depends on how long this decrepit society hangs around. And how far you look in the future.

I can see a day when most of you here wish that you still had a Christian society to rail against. Some here already do and don't like the consequences of their choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                              I'm assuming a life-affirming utopia.
                              And yet you don't see why you'll be condemned for eating animals
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X