Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For what reasons could you kill somebody without regret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somebody has revenge fantasies that involve killing somebody else, e.g. "I need a gun to protect my property"
    Uh. "I need a gun to protect my property" has nothing to do with revenge. I have the right to live where I live without fear of trespassers. Someone trespasses on my property is the first thing I'm going to do is shoot them? No. But at the same time, would it help me to be prepared? Yes. My family is here, and I have an obligation to protect them.

As for killing someone without regrets, eh I've only felt that way a few times. Assaulting family members is a good way to get on that list.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Having a gun to protect yourself or your family? Sure, I don't see anything objectionable about that. Having a gun to protect your property? That seems a bit extreme to me. The two situations are related, i.e. if somebody is trespassing and stealing your **** then you and your family are probably in some danger, so it's largely a matter of how somebody phrases things: "I need a gun to protect my family" expresses a far different intent than "I need a gun to protect my property."
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The only reason I'd regret is if I got caught

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Having a gun to protect yourself or your family? Sure, I don't see anything objectionable about that. Having a gun to protect your property? That seems a bit extreme to me. The two situations are related, i.e. if somebody is trespassing and stealing your **** then you and your family are probably in some danger, so it's largely a matter of how somebody phrases things: "I need a gun to protect my family" expresses a far different intent than "I need a gun to protect my property."
          Primary residence I would see as related, especially given intrusions late at night. Car, would depend on the circumstances. Up north, stealing a car during the winter is a tremendous deal because in a rural area, you could put someone's life in danger.

I have the property so me and my family have a place to live. We should be able to protect ourselves, and I don't see owning a gun for those purposes as terribly disproportionate.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
            Braindead must die after that.
            Oerdin wants to murder me because I posted a picture of a smile in another thread.

Comment

As this is a hypothetical question:
              Any ISIS fighter of western origin who uses the sex slavery system of ISIS for his own pleasure and abuses his slaves

Although I have to add that IMHO a better punishment for such individuals would be, to have them undergo an enforced mtf gender reassignment surgery and then put themselves as slaves into the ISIS sex slave system
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
                Oerdin wants to murder me because I posted a picture of a smile in another thread.
                but would he regret it?
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

My first wife and I aborted an unwanted phoetus very early in our relationship, while we were both in first year university. I regard this as killing someone, and I have no regrets.

Comment

To answer lion's question: I would have no regret in killing somebody who was about to do direct harm to my family without my intervention.
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

If they were terminally ill, in pain, and asking me to kill them.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Defence of self or family (both from risk of death or from serious harm)
                        Defence of strangers' lives
                        As part of a morally justified war
                        Euthanasia on somebody's request

I am not sure about capital punishment. As pure revenge for a grievous crime I would feel bad later (though I can imagine myself committing such an act with extreme enough circumstances). As a calculated deterrent, the evidence is mixed - if it could be demonstrated to be effective, I would have no moral compunctions, but might not have the stomach for it.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

As far as pure defence of property, no. The example I'm thinking about to isolate this from fear of bodily harm is watching a thief break into my car and begin to drive off. If armed I would yell at him to stop, but would have no urge to shoot him.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't imagine it's psychologically possible for a healthy person, under normal circumstances, to kill "somebody" (ie, a being they regarded as a person) without some measure of regret. Whether they would regard the killing as morally valid in spite of that visceral pain is an entirely different question.

. . . and yes, that's totally a ***** answer, right there. My answer to the question as I reinterpreted it is basically Kitty's, minus the euthanasia bit.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I would find it much easier to kill a person than to kill an animal. But still, not easy.

Bodily harm to myself or others.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I would feel no regret about killing a person so long as, in doing so, five other people were not crushed by a train.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X