Drug War in Mexico Lowers Male Life Expectancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug War in Mexico Lowers Male Life Expectancy

Mexico's drug war reverses trend of rising male life expectancy, study finds

Life expectancy fell by 0.6 years for men between 2005 and 2010

Fall came despite healthcare gains as drug violence spiked

Mexico’s drug war violence became so acute during the government’s militarised crackdown on organised crime that it caused male life expectancy rates to drop by an average of several months, reversing a decade’s worth of public health improvements, a new study has shown.

As violence worsened between 2005 and 2010, life expectancy rates fell in all of Mexico’s 31 states, including regions perceived to have escaped the conflict, according to the study published on Tuesday in the journal Health Affairs.

Life expectancy fell by as much as three years in Chihuahua state, which includes Ciudad Juárez – once considered the murder capital of the world. But states not nearly as affected by violence such as Oaxaca and Tlaxcala also saw declines of six months.

The drop in life expectancy coincides with a period of escalating violence between rival cartels, and then president Felipe Calderón’s 2006 decision to deploy federal forces against the traffickers.

“After 2005, that’s when life expectancy goes down in all the states. That is what made me think that it is homicide that is having a big impact,” says Hiram Beltrán-Sánchez, the lead researcher on the study.

Two authors of the study told the Guardian that the decline in life expectancy was directly related to the rise in the homicide rate after the drug war began and not merely a coincidence.

“Homicides were going down” from 2000 to 2005, Beltrán-Sánchez, a professor of community health studies at the University of California Los Angeles, said. “After 2005, when the whole thing exploded and military operations began moving through the country, that’s when the homicides went up, very much across the board.”

Mexico had made gains in life expectancy over the previous six decades as public health and living standards improved and more Mexicans gained access to health services. Beltrán-Sánchez said he was expecting to see an increase of “three or four years” during the last decade, but found a decrease in life expectancy of 0.6 years for men and almost no change for women.

The reversal came as the federal government extended a universal healthcare coverage to millions of impoverished Mexicans through a program known as Seguro Popular – a measure that researchers say should have increased life expectancies.

Mortality from diabetes – problematic in a country which consumes staggering amounts of soda – actually levelled off between 2005 and 2010 and would have contributed to gains in life expectancy without such high homicide rates

“The implementation has been slow, but the little progress that they did make [with Seguro Popular] was wiped out by the increase in homicides,” he said.

Life expectancy for a Mexican male is now slightly less than 72 years, six months lower than in 2005.

“This has become an issue of national relevance, of public health relevance, rather than some isolated events,” Beltrán-Sánchez said. “If [government officials] continue to see these as isolated events, they won’t be able to stop it.”

Mexico’s drug war has claimed more than 100,000 lives and sent the homicide rate from nine murders per 100,000 persons in 2005 to 22 murders per 100,000 in 2010.

The country’s homicide rate is still lower than in other Latin American countries, especially those in Central America

Figures released earlier this week showed that the murder rate in El Salvador rose to 104 per 100,000 habitants in 2015 – the bloodiest year since the end of the country’s civil war in 1992.
    we all know that the drug war leads only to violence and murder, but for it to cause life expectancy in a country the size of mexico to fall is really quite something.

meanwhile, violent deaths in el salvador spiked by 70% last year.

unfortunately, there are still many people who support this insanity.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

It would be good if people would stop doing drugs.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Where's the link there Cockney? It looks like you are putting out outdated information in a poor attempt to mislead.

Comment

Do you ever imbibe alcohol?
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          Do you ever imbibe alcohol?
          Do you?

Comment

Yep, in moderation. How about you?
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              It would be good if people would stop doing drugs.
              that sounds rather unrealistic, especially coming from an alcoholic. much more realistic is to stop criminalising drug users.

Where's the link there Cockney? It looks like you are putting out outdated information in a poor attempt to mislead.
              it looks like you're jumping to ill-informed conculsions. the story is from the yestrday's guardian.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

He's not jumping to conclusions, he's spreading lies that meet his bigoted agenda

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                  that sounds rather unrealistic,
                  People quit using drugs all the time.
                  especially coming from an alcoholic.
                  Good job Mr Holier than Thou.
                  much more realistic is to stop criminalising drug users.
                  Criminalising drug users prevents them from using drugs and therefore saves lives.
                  it looks like you're jumping to ill-informed conculsions. the story is from the yestrday's guardian.
                  It looks like some statistics go to 2010 and others go to 2015.

Comment

People quit using drugs all the time.

Good job Mr Holier than Thou.
                    people are not going to stop using drugs, drinking, etc.; given your own experience you ought to know that that is totally unrealistic. therefore, the debate must be about how the issue should be managed.

Criminalising drug users prevents them from using drugs and therefore saves lives.
                    no it doesn't. drugs are illegal, yet lots of people use drugs. almost all the problems with drugs are related to their illegality; most drug deaths are due to their illegality.

It looks like some statistics go to 2010 and others go to 2015.
                    try reading the article.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      people are not going to stop using drugs, drinking, etc.; given your own experience you ought to know that that is totally unrealistic. therefore, the debate must be about how the issue should be managed.
                      I quit using drugs, so why wouldn't other people be able to quit using drugs. The use of cocaine has gone down, so why couldn't the use of meth go down.

no it doesn't. drugs are illegal, yet lots of people use drugs. almost all the problems with drugs are related to their illegality; most drug deaths are due to their illegality.
                      No. You have no idea obviously on the problems of using meth. It ruins lives and families in ways that are not associated with it's legal status.

try reading the article.
                      I read the article. I see that you are trying to mislead people with statistics.

Comment

I quit using drugs, so why wouldn't other people be able to quit using drugs. The use of cocaine has gone down, so why couldn't the use of meth go down.
                        an individual's decision to quit using drugs or drinking is totally irrelevant to the point that people in general are not going to stop using drugs or drinking.

No. You have no idea obviously on the problems of using meth. It ruins lives and families in ways that are not associated with it's legal status.
                        meth, like other drugs, is illegal, and yet it still causes problems. what do you think the advantage of drug prohibition is?

as i said, most drug deaths are related to their illegality, due to things like impurities and no clear information about dosage.

I read the article. I see that you are trying to mislead people with statistics.
                        what exactly do you think is misleading?

Comment

The real question is would there be more or fewer deaths if they were legal. Hard to answer.
                          But most of the money that fuels gangs comes from drugs so many gang related shooting have to be counted on the illegal side.

I agree that you can't expect people to stop using all drugs. They're pervasive in Society. Legal ones like cigarettes, alcohol and prescription drugs. Why should they be legal where others are not?

I however believe that some of the more dangerous drugs should stay illegal. Of course some would say that Alcohol is the most dangerous, but that's only because it's probably the most heavily used one which distorts perception.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            The real question is would there be more or fewer deaths if they were legal. Hard to answer.
                            But most of the money that fuels gangs comes from drugs so many gang related shooting have to be counted on the illegal side.
                            Similar to your conclusion that gangs are funded by the illegality of drugs, I believe that there will be far fewer unintended deaths (not exactly the word I'm looking for - oblivious deaths? innocent deaths?) if drugs were legal, by which I mean deaths caused as a byproduct of the War On Drugs (it's capitalized because it's That Important) with the canonical example being kids killed in drive-by shootings; in contrast, "intended" deaths are those caused by overdosing or by other health-related consequences from using drugs, and this number might decrease (purer drugs) or increase (easier access to drugs) if drugs were legal. However, while I don't think that deaths in this latter category can simply be dismissed as being the users' fault, I firmly believe that deaths in the former category are far more tragic and that reducing these deaths at the possible consequence of increasing the number of "intended" deaths is a good / moral / fair / whatever tradeoff.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Sad but not surprising.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X