Drug War in Mexico Lowers Male Life Expectancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah View Post
    The real question is would there be more or fewer deaths if they were legal. Hard to answer.
    But most of the money that fuels gangs comes from drugs so many gang related shooting have to be counted on the illegal side.

I agree that you can't expect people to stop using all drugs. They're pervasive in Society. Legal ones like cigarettes, alcohol and prescription drugs. Why should they be legal where others are not?

I however believe that some of the more dangerous drugs should stay illegal. Of course some would say that Alcohol is the most dangerous, but that's only because it's probably the most heavily used one which distorts perception.
    almost certainly fewer. evidence from countries that have decriminalised drug use (to varying extents) supports this. for example, countries that have public programmes for safe injection sites see fewer deaths from heroin; countries that give people ecstacy testing kits see fewer deaths from ecstasy. the benefits would be even greater with full legalisation, as clear labelling would be allow people to be sure about what and how much they're taking. and of course, all the deaths and violence related to the sale of drugs would come to an end.

one of the main argument that prohibitionists make is that legalisation would increase usage, yet there's absolutely no evidence for this. portugal effectively decriminalised drugs in 2001 and has seen a slight fall in the use of hard drugs. this isn't really surprising when you think about it; it's not crack's illegality that stops most people using it, but rather the fact that using crack is a very bad idea. full legalisation would allow society to benefit from drug use through taxation, as you can see in some parts of the USA with legal weed; some of this money, plus that saved from not locking up drug users and dealers, could be used for better education and treatment.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The real question is would there be more or fewer deaths if they were legal. Hard to answer.
      But most of the money that fuels gangs comes from drugs so many gang related shooting have to be counted on the illegal side.

I agree that you can't expect people to stop using all drugs. They're pervasive in Society. Legal ones like cigarettes, alcohol and prescription drugs. Why should they be legal where others are not?

I however believe that some of the more dangerous drugs should stay illegal. Of course some would say that Alcohol is the most dangerous, but that's only because it's probably the most heavily used one which distorts perception.
      Well Cockney wants meth, crack and heroine to be legal. That's what we're talking about here.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Since a lot of overdose deaths are caused by what the drug is cut with, I'm thinking that making them legal would decrease overdoses even it the amount of users increased. Tax dollars earned could be targeted at education which could only help.

xpost, and I'd start with the less dangerous drugs first to see if people would be more likely not to move up to some of those and stick with the legal ones.

But he may be right and the only real answer is to legalize more of them.

The current strategy is not working.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
          an individual's decision to quit using drugs or drinking is totally irrelevant to the point that people in general are not going to stop using drugs or drinking.
          I'm not saying everyone will stop using drugs. That's a feminist type argument, like stopping all rape or sexual crimes by men. I'm saying people should stop doing drugs and in fact many people do quite using drugs, mostly because they hit rock bottom. People don't normally quit using drugs just because people say it's bad, while enabling them to keep doing drugs.
          meth, like other drugs, is illegal, and yet it still causes problems. what do you think the advantage of drug prohibition is?
          Well for one, if someone is using meth, and they have children in the house you can remove the children from the dangerous environment and put them in a safe environment until the parents can prove that they can properly take care of the children. You can do that because drugs are illegal and society takes a firm stand against drug use.
          as i said, most drug deaths are related to their illegality, due to things like impurities and no clear information about dosage.
          Drug deaths are not the only issue. Being addicted to meth and what you do as a meth addict is also horrible.
          what exactly do you think is misleading?
          I already told you. You have some statistics from 2010, and some from 2015, to exaggerate deaths. It's predictable. This is the crap leftists do constantly. I never see leftists present honest statistics.

Comment

The current strategy is not working.
            Actually it is working. The Drug War is preventing drugs from harming society just like all other crimes are prevented from harming society. No one is saying we need to make murder legal, or theft legal. This is non-sense.

Comment

That's a feminist type argument,
              Why must you associate everything feminist as an insult or something stupid. Your hatred is showing AGAIN.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                Actually it is working. The Drug War is preventing drugs from harming society just like all other crimes are prevented from harming society. No one is saying we need to make murder legal, or theft legal. This is non-sense.
                Comparing making drug use legal with making murder legal is just plain silly,
                Almost as silly as being part of the small minority of people that think the War on Drugs is actually working.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why must you associate everything feminist as an insult or something stupid. Your hatred is showing AGAIN.

Comment

Comparing making drug use legal with making murder legal is just plain silly,
                    Almost as silly as being part of the small minority of people that think the War on Drugs is actually working.
                    The drug war is working, you ****. You're assuming that a working drug war is going to stop all people from using drugs. That's a ridiculous standard.

Comment

If you repeat that often enough then maybe reality will take note
                      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Honestly from the thread title alone I would have expected Kid to be against the War on Drugs. From a certain point of view, the whole thing sounds like a plot to kill off men and leave the women in charge.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

How many drug seizures did U.S. Customs and Border Protection make last year?

Please see our publication, CBP Performance and Accountability Report on our Web site.
                          Drug Seizure Statistics (2009)
                          Note: The following amounts represent total CBP seizures, including amounts transferred to other government agencies for disposition
                          - Number of pounds of cocaine seized: 135,943
                          - Number of pounds of heroin seized: 2,015
                          - Number of pounds of marijuana seized: 4,330,475
                          - Number of pounds of methamphetamine seized: 6,135
                          That is success. All of those drugs would have caused harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                            Honestly from the thread title alone I would have expected Kid to be against the War on Drugs. From a certain point of view, the whole thing sounds like a plot to kill off men and leave the women in charge.
                            Kid is in favor of anything where he gets to tell other people what to do and is against anything where other people get to tell him what to do
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              It would be good if people would stop doing drugs.
                              That'll happen.

Comment

The War on Drugs also gave us Breaking Bad, which basically much makes up for all the death and violence and corruption and ruined lives and money it's cost us.
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X