X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
      If Americans were Nazis you would all be speaking American!
      Which happens to be true. I think it has something to do with British murdering and enslaving people all over the world. Nazis were called Nazis only because they were killing Western Europeans. When Western Europeans were killing non-Western Europeans, they were called "white men".
      Knowledge is Power

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellestar View Post
        Which happens to be true. I think it has something to do with British murdering and enslaving people all over the world. Nazis were called Nazis only because they were killing Western Europeans. When Western Europeans were killing non-Western Europeans, they were called "white men".
        Good point although the Holocaust was a bit more extreme than what western europeans had previously done.

Comment

• On a pertinent level I read an analysis about what can be construed as fascist in the modern world.

The examples were ISIS, Trump and some european far right wing parties (only the later are).

It's interesting maybe I'll find it (although I doubt it)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
            On a pertinent level I read an analysis about what can be construed as fascist in the modern world.

The examples were ISIS, Trump and some european far right wing parties (only the later are).

It's interesting maybe I'll find it (although I doubt it)
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Ellestar View Post
              That's coming from a Russian who was part of totalitarian society.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                Sometimes I exagerate a tiny bit but it gets the message across.

By the way you talk about "mooslims" being in danger in your trigger happy society, I don't know wether to laugh or cry.
                There are muslim women walking their kids, them playing ball right on my way to work. And all sorts of kids.
                Somehow the thought of them "being in danger in our trigger happy society" never entered my mind.
                Yes and no. I live in the Florida Panhandle, which is basically Alabama. About as South as you can get. Maybe Texas is more solidly conservative, but not many other places. The most prominent Muslim institution AFAIK is a local private school, which has the reputation of being the place where wealthy doctors and professionals send their kids. My own kids' pediatrician is a Muslim, I think, and there's an Indo-Pakistani grocery run by ladies in hijabs. I go there occasionally, to get tea and such. There's some theological dislike, but generally only nutbars think these particular people, or Pakistani cabdrivers, or gas station clerks, are a direct or imminent danger to anyone.

That's one of the ironies of the modern world: Muslims in the US, which has been bombing and shooting Muslims nonstop for about fifteen years, are pretty thoroughly assimilated and comfortable, while in the EU, which took a much smaller role in the WoT, there's apparently much more tension. The general explanation given is that our Muslims come from a much wider set of countries instead of just one, so they don't form ghettos so readily. Also America has a peculiar gift for assimilating foreigners, or so I'm told. And I get the feeling our Muslims are a smaller chunk of the population; we don't do official counts by religion, but last I heard there were maybe three million according to best guess. Less than one percent of the country. We have substantially more Jews than Muslims.

The recent anti-Muslim hysteria is an expression of generalized foreigner hatred and socio-economic anxiety--the same thing that makes us hate Mexicans, with some added twists. It's all too complicated to get into, and I don't know the details myself. But, harmless and tolerated as assimilated Muslims are, any large influx of foreign Muslims would be widely seen as doing the work of ISIS. Either as containing sleeper agents or simply as waves of ideological contamination undermining American beliefs. I think in this we don't differ much from the buffoons on your side of the pond, with the noteworthy differences that our buffoons have a ****load of guns, and are accustomed to the long American tradition of independent action and contempt for state authority. If an incident like Cologne's occurred here, the results would depend on where exactly, but in general I believe the authorities would be all but helpless to stop the lynchings that would follow.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• And yes, Trump is a cloddish crypto-fascist in the general mold of Mussolini; this should not be remotely controversial.
                  1011 1100

Comment

• The anti-Muslim hysteria in the United States is the result of terrorism, and has nothing to do with "hatred against Mexicans" which doesn't exist. People are only critical of the mass migration of Mexicans and others.

Comment

• I see. Thanks for explaining that to me.

Only 3 mllion in a population (I think) of 350 million is indeed a drop in the ocean I think.

There are of course differences in terminology. WoT sounds like some vicious joke but I appreciate you giving me a run down of how things are there

I am confident that you will never find it so easy to bomb a muslim country from now on to be honest

Comment

• Another major terrorist attack in Europe.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01...l?intcmp=hpbt1

A 28-year-old Syrian national blew himself up in a popular tourist district of Istanbul Tuesday, killing at least 10 people and injuring at least 15 more, Turkish government officials said.

Turkey's Dogan news agency reported that at least six Germans, one Norwegian and one Peruvian were among the wounded, and Seoul's Foreign Ministry told reporters via text message that one South Korean had a finger injury. The Norwegian Foreign Ministry told Norway's news agency NTB that the Norwegian tourist was slightly hurt and was being treated in a local hospital.

Authorities in Germany and Denmark warned citizens visiting Turkey to avoid crowds outside tourist attractions in Istanbul. German officials said on a government website that further violent clashes and "terrorist attacks" are expected across Turkey. Germany also urged travelers to stay away from demonstrations and gatherings, particularly in large cities.

The explosion, which could be heard from several neighborhoods, was at a park that is home to a landmark obelisk, some 25 yards from the historic Blue Mosque.

Comment

• Bombing a Muslim country from now on would seem to be unnecessary, as now that we stoved in Iraq the whole region appears set to self-destruct in an Islamic version of the Thirty Years' War. They will likely bomb each other until everybody has lost either the capacity or the willingness to continue bombing. Or so I think--but I'm morbid.
                          1011 1100

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                            Bombing a Muslim country from now on would seem to be unnecessary, as now that we stoved in Iraq the whole region appears set to self-destruct in an Islamic version of the Thirty Years' War. They will likely bomb each other until everybody has lost either the capacity or the willingness to continue bombing. Or so I think--but I'm morbid.
                            The problem is that they are religious extremists so they won't be reasonable about it. It's not working, but they don't care because they believe it's what Allah wants them to do, and Allah will make them victorious.

Comment

• Muslims are not an amalgam and different muslim countries have different allies (among "christian" countries), different ethos etc etc etc

You seem to focus on the violence of muslims in the US.

In germany what really happened was a rape.

If we take the last 10 days, I'm positive the largest number of deaths will be in the US side.
                              I don't know if you think it's "ok" because they weren't any muslims involved though.

I mean, if we keep things in perspective, even with the huge influx of muslims, european societies are safer, more peaceful and far less lethal.

Could it be because compared to the US they are filled with "muslims"?

I don't believe so, but it helps keep things in perspective

Comment

• (and there goes Turkey's tourism)

Comment

Working...
                                X