No announcement yet.

Let's do a New Years resolution thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's do a New Years resolution thread.

This thread is for small things you're going to do to improve yourself, either for the new year or just in general.

I'll go first.
    • This fall was the first time I had returned to higher education in years and years, and will be doing so again in the spring. Full time student while full time employee, so I'll be getting some BAH from the VA. It was a hell of a bear, but after this next semester it's going to be be sequential classes until I at least transfer to a 4-year institution, so by summer I'll throttle it back considerably.
    • I'm cutting soda out of my life, to a degree. I no longer have it in the apartment or drink it at work, although I do drink it at restaurants.
    • Gonna try to adopt a "meatless Monday" situation, where one day out of the week it's purely vegetarian. I will almost certainly still use dairy products though.
    • Finally, I saw this on another forum and am completely enamored with the idea. Take out cash money from the ATM(say, $40 a week) and use that for expenses during the week, like gas money. Take the remaining singletons/1 dollar bills and remove them from wallet and store them. Rubber band them when they get to $25, return deposit or save in your emergency cash-on-hand fund.

This is gonna be a big year, get my AA, move in with GF, Deadpool is coming out...
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

In no particular order:

(1) Get my BS in astronomy. This will happen. I have 22 credits to go, so I will be done by this time next year. I have no idea what happens after that, though.

(2) Get in shape. Lame, stereotypical, I know. But the past two semesters I've had a recurring debilitating back injury that kind of makes me look like an old man when I try to walk. I'm only 30, goddammit. I need to lose weight, get in shape, and try not to beat my dad in the heart attack race.

(3) Get laid. It's been two and a half years since I broke up with my ex and two and a half years since I've had sex. I'd settle for just going on some dates and having fun with women I don't currently know.

(4) Get a hobby. My life is mostly work, school, sleep, and occasional D&D/boardgames with friends. I want to do something new and interesting and become part of a community of people also doing this awesome new thing. Tennis, amateur astronomy, modeling (miniatures), going outside. These are all things I might enjoy. I should find out.

(5) Get published. Even if I were to dedicate myself to this one, I would very likely not succeed. But I should try. I need to write. Short stories, novels, this nonfiction book idea I'm tinkering with about how we've come to know about the stars, my blog. Something, dammit.

(6) Get back to reading books. As an adult, I read far fewer books per year than I did as a kid. Part of that is depression-related; part of that is schedule-related. It bothers me either way. As a writer, I need to know what's being written. And as someone who deeply values learning, I need to learn deeply. I spend too much time watching Netflix or reading dumb **** online.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Show more love to those around me.
      Take more time for work.
      Spend less time reading dumb **** online.
      Return to my shape of 2012/etc.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

•Finally, I saw this on another forum and am completely enamored with the idea. Take out cash money from the ATM(say, $40 a week) and use that for expenses during the week, like gas money. Take the remaining singletons/1 dollar bills and remove them from wallet and store them. Rubber band them when they get to $25, return deposit or save in your emergency cash-on-hand fund.
        Yep, great way to get back on track. Good luck, Lonestar!
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          ... I spend too much time watching Netflix or reading dumb **** online.
          Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          ...Spend less time reading dumb **** online...

JM
          'Poly is going to be quiet next year...

I'm going to do a few auditions. I didn't do any live theatre last year, despite offers. I might tour again. I haven't toured since my heart attack three years ago.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Plans are to finish the house, tie the knot, replace the rusted out multicab. Hopefully building a road.

Anyone who resolves to not post at poly can ask for a ban. We wont do it, but you can ask.

Comment

Obligatory:

Probably 1920*1080 as always
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

No more drunk posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
                  Obligatory:

Probably 1920*1080 as always
                  Tell me about this thing called 4k.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I am still thinking about mine.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

destroy the universe

Comment

so far my is holding...

Comment

Here is my list:

- Lose weight and get back into shape. That means hitting the gym three days a week and starting to jog again. Right now I am 6'1" and about 260 so I need to get done under 220.

- Drink less and not at all unless I am with other people.

- I need to get a new job. I am maxed out in my current position and stagnating plus the company recently got bought out and I am not sure I like the changes the new owners are making. A government job with a pension might be right for me.

- Meet new people and spend less time on the internet. Self explanatory.

-Finally get serious about dating again. It has been too long.

- Be nicer to people around me and try not to be so negative. Several people have told me I can be a real Debby Downer at times with the negativity.
                          Last edited by Dinner; December 31, 2015, 00:50.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                            No more drunk posting.
                            NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I might finish my ph.d this year
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X