No announcement yet.

Poll: Worst Star Wars movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one here who watched some Star Wars for the 'splosions and spaceships, and didn't care about the backstory?

Comment

Braindead isn't a nerd.

Comment

Didn't realize we allowed non-nerds on this site.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Braindead View Post
          Am I the only one here who watched some Star Wars for the 'splosions and spaceships, and didn't care about the backstory?
          This kind of sums up the initial reaction to IV when it first came out many years ago. It created a new generation of those that wanted more splosions and spaceships.
          It was obvious that backstory just didn't matter. As proven in V and VI. Look what happened when they actually focused on the backstory in I II and III.

Since everyone was clamoring about how they wanted the new one to be more like the original three, why should anyone be surprised about the lack of backstory in VII.

You don't even need the backstory to remind you who is good or bad, just listen to the music.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
            This kind of sums up the initial reaction to IV when it first came out many years ago. It created a new generation of those that wanted more splosions and spaceships.
            It was obvious that backstory just didn't matter. As proven in V and VI. Look what happened when they actually focused on the backstory in I II and III.

Since everyone was clamoring about how they wanted the new one to be more like the original three, why should anyone be surprised about the lack of backstory in VII.

You don't even need the backstory to remind you who is good or bad, just listen to the music.
            I agree with you that the backstory was never that important, but it felt like Lucas went out of his way to **** it up in the prequels. For instance, the number and prominence of Jedis in the prequels (with their headquarters in a prominent location on Corosant) doesn't match up with the way they are remembered in the originals where they are shown as a long forgotten and/or shadowy secret society. Some more examples: Ben Kenobi says he was Anakin's close friend before he turned into Vadar, but they seem to dislike each other and not get along in the prequels. The Imperial Senate is dissolved by the Emperor in A New Hope but it hardly seemed necessary for the Emperor to keep the Senate around at all at the end of episode III. The Death Star was half complete at the end of episode III but took 17 years to finish, and then they build another one in couple of years for Rotj. Then there's the obvious point about how technology seemed to revert drastically in the 17 year period between the prequels and the originals. And what ever happened to the clones? They really ****ed it up imo.
            "

Comment

The clones became storm troopers, and then they also recruited some storm troopers who weren't clones.

Comment

The Emperor decommissioned the clones because conscription was a more effective way of subjugating the galaxy.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I watched Force Awakens recently and found it quite entertaining, certainly more fun than Ep I-III. It brought a nice bit of nostalgia with enough new stuff to enjoy it overall. Missed a bit of the usual megalomania though (I understood that starkiller thingie is supposed to be way bigger than the death star, but IMO it felt less impressive overall. But maybe that's just cuz we are more used to the whole death star approach

To moan a bit the evil guys were not really top class evil.

Overall, while it was good, I was more impressed by the new Mad Max movie.
                  Last edited by BeBMan; June 23, 2016, 14:38.
                  Blah

Comment

Working...
                  X