Poll: Worst Star Wars movie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler:
    Villains are inept and not scary, when Darth Vader's grandson gets upset it's not scary, it's just comic relief, and the protagonists are already better than him.

The main protagonist is already practically a jedi after touching a lightsaber once. Next movie she'll become a slightly better jedi. Big ****ing deal.

The first order, in spite of their name and stated ideology, is chaotic evil, if Disney had made A New Hope the storm troopers would have leveled Mos Eisley in search of the droids.

Calling yourself "the resistance" when you are defending the established government doesn't make sense.

Destroying a death star for the third time is getting old.

R2-D2 suddenly starts working again for no reason other than because the ending of the movie required it.

BB-8 has no personality aside from liking its master, the hispanic guy who is just another spunky pilot

Comment

Whichever movie Anakin and Padme went on their date to the countryside was the worst. Though I liked the prequels as a whole. If I had seen them as a kid like I did the originals, I probably would have liked the prequels more than the originals. They had some fun action and looked good. I think most of the prequel hate is a bunch of aging men wishing they were kids again, and then rudely being reminded that they can never go back to those times.

(Except for the aforementioned dating crap, that was truly awful from any perspective.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
        Anakin accidentally launches his fighter into space, accidentally flies into the cargo hangar of the droid control ship, and accidentally shoots it up, destroying the ship and shutting down the droid army. It was never his intention to shut down the droid army, but he did it anyway all in the course of just trying to stay out of trouble as Qui-Gon ordered him to do. Maybe the Force was flowing through him or some crap like that, but the truth is that the battle was won by a small child who was not even participating in the battle, and all the other Naboo fighter pilots were too stupid to think, "Hmm, maybe I should fly into the unshielded cargo bay and blow **** up there."
        ah, i mistook the meaning of "succeed"
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          Spoiler:
          Villains are inept and not scary, when Darth Vader's grandson gets upset it's not scary, it's just comic relief, and the protagonists are already better than him.

The main protagonist is already practically a jedi after touching a lightsaber once. Next movie she'll become a slightly better jedi. Big ****ing deal.

The first order, in spite of their name and stated ideology, is chaotic evil, if Disney had made A New Hope the storm troopers would have leveled Mos Eisley in search of the droids.

Calling yourself "the resistance" when you are defending the established government doesn't make sense.

R2-D2 suddenly starts working again for no reason other than because the ending of the movie required it.

BB-8 has no personality aside from liking its master, the hispanic guy who is just another spunky pilot
          you are not wrong with all of this
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Spoiler:
            Actually only Ben is inept and not scary (no surprise, considering that he is a failed Jedi pupil) ... we still don´t know what Snokes has fopr abilities

Well, Skywalkers daughter, of course, is a little bit more special than the ordinary 08/15 Jedi
            Although I have to agree that, considering the time it took Luke to train his abilities, it is a little bit much whta she already now knows.
            But maybe she is the Kwisatz Haderach among the Jedis and maybe a lot of Parts VIII and IX will revolve around her trying to avoid tro succumb to the temptations of the dark side of the force.

It is a practical thing that the FO, in contract to the empire, is no government and therefore doesn´t have to adhere to any rules or mercy, aside from the rules they establish for themselves

Depends on who they resist ... the New Republic obviously prefers to keep peace with the remnants of the empire and also doesn´t makeany attempts to resist the FOs attempts at building a new Superweapon. So, it seems like "The Resistance" attempts to resist both ... the naivity/passivity of the New Republic as well as any hostile actions by the FO.

Which is why this time they destroy Starkiller Base ...
            a base that doesn´t just orbit a planet, but is a planet
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Spoiler:
              If the first order is basically a terrorist organization, how can they afford to build a superweapon that's even bigger than what the empire built?

edit: given that the "resistance" is favored by the established government, why does the "resistance" seem to be the underdog?
              Last edited by giblets; December 22, 2015, 13:38.

Comment

Whatever else can be said of TPM I was able to sit through all of it, which couldn't be said of Clones.

Also the Red Letter Media review of TPM is the funniest.
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

The whole second series was pretty awful, they merge in my mind, all blah.

The one with the one young queen doubling as someone else at times and the big reveal was probably the worst, some of the most terrible wooden acting from that actress that I have ever seen. I wanted her to die. Same with Jar Jar binks. Abysmal character, Bob Marley without the charm.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I haven't seen 2 & 3 - 6 and 1 killed it for me. I've yet to see 7, but it sounds like a return to form.

What Lori said about wanting to enjoy a kid's movie as much as you did when you were a kid rings true though.

Comment

I don't think Lori said that.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                        One wonders why Imperial Stormtroopers wear amor ... it doesn´t seem to protect them from Blasterfire ... it doesn´t even protect them from physical attacks (as ROTJ showed) and, considering their lack of success in hitting rebels only a few meters away from them, it also doesn´t seem to enhance their senses.
                        So, wouldn´t it actually enhance the combat capabilities of the stormtroopers, if they wouldn´t have to carry the additional weight of the armor, with its vision limiting helmet?

It also makes one wonder if the Rebels wouldn´t have fared better in their fights (especially in Echo Base on Hoth), if they had used hand grenades, IEDs or mines instead of blasters (or in addition to them)
                        Maybe a year ago I posted a long textwall arguing that absolutely no part of SW military technology makes a lick of sense, so it's not fair to pick on just the stormtrooper suits while ignoring all the other nonsense. Can't be arsed to dig it up now.

I only watched each of the prequels once, but my memory of one is worst. Two and three had Anakin's pissy Freudian issues, wooden acting, and a lot of passable action scenes. Also the plots were moronic. One had even more wooden acting, mostly inferior action scenes, Jar Jar and a whole army of annoying Gungans with catapult energy-bomb thingies for some ****ing reason, podracing, Jake Lloyd, and basically nothing but Darth Maul doing twirly lightsaber stunts to make up for it all. The plot was even more moronic, centering on some unspecified galactic bureaucracy bull****.

I think Sava's hierarchy is essentially correct, though I'd put a bit more space between 7 and 6. ROTJ rehashed the death star plot, but added a number of twists to make it distinct from ANH's. TFA has a scene with monsters loose in a ship, and Finn's desertion, and . . . I'm racking my brains trying to come up with other scenes and tropes that aren't directly borrowed from the original trilogy. I guess the villain being a sad little pissant who destroys equipment instead of people is original, for what it's worth?
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

the only one i've seen. and that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Comment

i still say star trek is better.

Comment

Did George Lucas ever come up with an excuse for spaceships making noise in space?

Comment

Yes, the excuse is that it's awesome. What's your excuse for being incapable of joy?
                                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                                X