What is you pet worth to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is you pet worth to you?

One of our cats just turned 15 and has gotten quite sick.

After a few trips to the vet I am now aware that there are cat oncologists and cat chemo.
    Go Figure.
    The wife figures our pet of 15 years is worth the cost of some tests and some treatment.
    (despite the bills totaling over $1500.)
    A followup checkup is next week with surgery as a possibility. I can only assume that cat operating tools are quite expensive.

The cat is so weak she can barely make it up one stair.
    She's not in obvious extreme pain yet, but I don't think that day is too far in the future.

I've had to put pets down in the past and always find it trying.

How much would you be willing to fork out for treatment of a sick pet?
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

My dog has a $100 health plan. The fish have $0 (free transport to toilet).

I guess if the dog bill was $105 I would do it. But that's it. While it lives here.. it lives good, eats good sleeps in beds.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
      One of our cats just turned 15 and has gotten quite sick.

After a few trips to the vet I am now aware that there are cat oncologists and cat chemo.
      Go Figure.
      The wife figures our pet of 15 years is worth the cost of some tests and some treatment.
      (despite the bills totaling over $1500.)
      A followup checkup is next week with surgery as a possibility. I can only assume that cat operating tools are quite expensive.

The cat is so weak she can barely make it up one stair.
      She's not in obvious extreme pain yet, but I don't think that day is too far in the future.

I've had to put pets down in the past and always find it trying.

How much would you be willing to fork out for treatment of a sick pet?
      Pets are supposed to teach humans that dying is an unpleasant inevitability. An oncologist charging $1500 cancer treatments for a 15 year old cat is trying to rob you.

Comment

more like IS robbing you. they are playing your feelings for the animal.

Comment

For a 15 yr old? Not much.

Sorry though
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

In all fairness it was a nickle and dime type of thing. Let's check this, Let's check that. Let's do a biopsy. Blah blah blah.

And it's only robbery if we don't have a choice. We've had a choice and my wife has always agreed, (far longer than I would have. After the first couple of hundred I would have said, "cat has had a good life")

I guess I was most surprised by the cat Chemo. They talked about it like it was an everyday occurrence,

And for the record, there's no way I'll agree to a couple more grand worth of surgery.

But I will admit that out of all the pets I've ever had. (quite a few) this one was my favorite by a wide margin. Despite her being the devil.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

now you can get a new pet! they have features and options you didn't see 15 years ago.

Comment

We got two back then so regardless we'll still have one left. No need to bring a newcomer into the house until the other one is gone too.

I'd also say let's take a break dear, but that's what I said 16 years ago when our last pet had to be put down. And you can tell she really paid attention to my request as she went out and got 2.

If I said it again, I might wake up from a nap and find we have 4.

It's still sad though.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The actual pet, not much. Keeping the wife and kids happy is a different matter entirely.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

[QUOTE=Donegeal;6433839]The actual pet, not much. Keeping the wife and kids happy is a different matter entirely.[/QUOTE

agree but! instead of $1000 on 'pretty much a dead cat already'... why not take the family on a cool trip or buy something fun for everyone

this also - the cat (rah's) is old - why take the last few weeks, months and stress this animal out completely with trips to doctors, tests, getting cut open...

Let the animal go - make it as comfy as you can - and let it go.

Comment

I know how it is when a pet, you had for a very long time, dies (in my case an Eastern Rosella who died when I was 16 ... and our family had für 8 years .. so I knew him for half of my life).

But paying 1500 $ for a cat of 15 years ... which is the end of the normal life expectancy for a house cat ... and who already shows lots of symptoms of old age?
                      I personally wouldn´t do it ... I just would take care that her last months (or however long she has in your household) are as pleasant as possible (also paying for pain medication if necessary ... but not spending 1500 $ for a thorough checkup anymore)
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

"I just would take care that her last months (or however long she has in your household) are as pleasant as possible "

oh there you go - quality of life. sometimes nothing is the best action.

Comment

I tend to get a good vet to euthanize my pets when they are are suffering and terminal or very old and sick, based on the medical advice.

I think it's more humane, because animals don't know why they are suffering, but it's a very, very, very personal decision.

Hope it works out for you Rah, and your family.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

'I tend to get a good vet to euthanize my pets when they are are suffering and terminal or very old and sick'

hmmmmm..... I dunno bout that.

pay some doctor $100 to put your pet down??? I don't know. Again, the stress... I would rather die at home.

I mean, I know, sounds bad. A hole, a chunk of cheese, a flash - it's over - no stress at all for the animal.
                            Last edited by My Wife Hates CIV; September 22, 2015, 19:45.

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                              agree but! instead of $1000 on 'pretty much a dead cat already'... why not take the family on a cool trip or buy something fun for everyone

this also - the cat (rah's) is old - why take the last few weeks, months and stress this animal out completely with trips to doctors, tests, getting cut open...

Let the animal go - make it as comfy as you can - and let it go.
                              I didn't say I'd fork out the money for the cat to keep the wife and kids happy, I merely said that I'd be willing to pay to keep them happy. Taking them on a cool trip while the deed is being done would suffice.
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X