How nice is your nation's police?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How nice is your nation's police?

So, I was on holiday in Spain and France last week, and I was struck at how courteous they were, especially the Spanish police. Seriously, on several occasions they gave me right of way when driving, and were OK even when speeding past on the motorway and I was stuck in the fast lane... All in all, I was very impressed and have been in the past - including a time when I did an illegal u-turn right in front of a Spanish cop car and got off with only a mild rebuke.

In the UK they're generally OK too, though I have come across the old by the book sort. Generally most police I've come across are really nice human beings.

I only wondered, because you keep hearing such bad stories in the US - like the latest jaywalking tasering incident - not to mention all the shootings!

But, I hasten to add that a nice cop in Arizona let me off a speeding offence with an official warning one time, so this isn't some kind of 'US police are teh evil' thread...

I guess the cops think Welsh people are white .

Comment

Most of them are hicks (but not all) and they'll be nice if you're nice

Comment

I've never understood those that antagonize them. I'm always courteous.
        The police in general have always treated me with respect.
        (but then, I'm white and don't give them any ****)
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I must admit I did put on my best dumb tourist polite British accent...

SUV police car shapes you just don't get in the UK, and what's the chances of a 2nd police car 5 minutes after the first, in the desert? Well, I guess it was lunchtime...

Comment

I tend to think the ones in the UK are dicks, but there are some nice ones of course. They just seem to have become so far detached from normal people, that they can't relate to peoples natural expectations and reactions in stressful situations. Also if they drop the patronizing airs it would be very welcome.

Comment

Haven't really had anything to do with the French ones so can't judge, but I imagine they'll be quite haughty but generally ok. The French border cops can be a bit *******-ish, but I think just working in an airport is reasonable grounds to become jaded and soulless. I'd detest having to work in one of those horrible places.

Comment

You don't bother them, they don't bother you. The way it should be.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                  I've never understood those that antagonize them. I'm always courteous.
                  The police in general have always treated me with respect.
                  (but then, I'm white and don't give them any ****)
                  Nice Mobi realizes he's asking a bunch of mostly middle-aged white males, right?
                  There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    I tend to think the ones in the UK are dicks, but there are some nice ones of course. They just seem to have become so far detached from normal people, that they can't relate to peoples natural expectations and reactions in stressful situations. Also if they drop the patronizing airs it would be very welcome.
                    Remember folks, this is a Tory speaking.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Right around the time of that Michael Brown bull**** I got pulled over. Before I left I said "thanks for all you do, keeping the highway safe and all.". He really appreciated that.

I'm awesome.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                        Remember folks, this is a Tory speaking.
                        You love it.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                          See, I don't really agree with this. On balance I'd say your average cop on the street is simply just trying to do his/her job. Obviously there will be plenty with a power complex and the like, but I've dealt with plenty down the years for one reason or another and none have been dicks. The worst has been a couple of jobs worth sticking to the rules types (though I understand that) - in fact the worst I can really say about the police is that often they don't seem particularly bright...

No, in general, they have been pretty nice and approachable. In fact, one of the funniest things last year was the NATO Summit here in Wales where every force in the UK was represented (there was even a game to 'collect' all the police forces). It was a mammoth operation with something like 9,000 police swamping Cardiff and Newport - the funniest thing was how they were all bending over backwards to be so nice - I thought at the time, if only they were like that all the time, things would be so much easier for them for the rest of the time...

Comment

Originally posted by NICE MOBIUS View Post
                            I thought at the time, if only they were like that all the time, things would be so much easier for them for the rest of the time...
                            Yes exactly, IF they were like that all the time. I don't think they're particularly nasty or anything, I just think they get jaded very easily and lose touch with how normal people think and live. Jobsworths with an undeserved superiority complex is too often my impression.

Comment

Quite nice

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X