Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Enjoy Your Hobbies/Interests Without Today's Technologies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Enjoy Your Hobbies/Interests Without Today's Technologies?

Bear with me on this one, I was advised to post what interests me. I believe most posters were drawn to this site due to their common interest in Civ. I would assume that most of you have other interests and or hobbies too. My interests have always been in other cultures and civilizations. I have a varied range of hobbies that I have learned that reflect upon those interests. Do your interests and hobbies crossover as well?

Some of mine have been spinning wool, carving spoons, and wine making. Most people think it is crazy to go through all of this hardworking when you can just run down to the store. Why do I learn and apply seemingly useless tasks? Admittedly, the spoons came in handy when we went backpacking and realized I forgot to pack some spoons! Though, I ended up just using the chop sticks I made since the spoon broke. Grr.

The other hobbies I suppose it is amazing to be able to make sure the old ways are not completely forgotten and there is a feeling of accomplishment. Though, those that have to or had to do such hobbies as actual chores may laugh at me for finding it all fun! I cannot knock the Internet and all of our technology, it has given me instant access to tutorials and broaden my knowledge base. Would you be able to still enjoy your interests and hobbies if there was no longer access to power or technology?

Attached Files

I garden with minimal use of of the -cides, though I use them when facing overwhelming force. I also like reading books. Real books. Like, with pages and stuff.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I enjoy landscaping with perrennials and my vegetable garden is extremely au naturale! After exhausting myself in the spring getting it all planted, I don't return to weed until I begin seeing something worthy to harvest for the dinner table! I am soooo lazy. Thankfully, mother nature waters it for me. So, I imagine with no power or technology I would still be able to do that too.

Edit add: I love reading too. I can never resist Do it Yourself Encyclopedia collections at a yard sale. I don't care how old it is! The older collections are so less complicated without all the technologies of today.

Comment

I could get the same experience as posting on the internet carrying around a sack of books I don't read but pretend to know by heart, getting really drunk, and then picking fights with swineherds at feeding time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
          I could get the same experience as posting on the internet carrying around a sack of books I don't read but pretend to know by heart, getting really drunk, and then picking fights with swineherds at feeding time.
          ​would it be as much fun?

Comment

send me backpacking any day anywhere. I love being as remote as possible for weeks if possible. Oh, MHLC is the best, I've never explored with anyone better. yes, she can kill, clean and cook anything. so yeah, no need for every electric here. no fancy GPS.

Comment

Hello posters! Seriously, civ is not your only interest/ hobby? I am going to eat the fabulous meal I cooked. Yes, I love cooking too. Charge up this insufferable technological gadget called an IPad and then, return! Speak up already!

Comment

I have been depressed for most of my life and don't really have any hobbies.

Comment

poly? - I like posting here. it's not that bad of a thing.

oh my - now I'm aeson. gezzeeeee. rah is like - what the F* is going on?!?!

Comment

My main interests are history and the discussion of history (especially naval history) and that means primary sources. Without today's access to the significant primary and secondary sources online, I couldn't do what I like to do best. I enjoy yard work (though not gardening - I have enough neighbors who garden that I never lack fresh veggies) as a break from the online research and discussion, but without modern tech I'd be reduced to the same tired old secondary and tertiary sources that have gotten it wrong for centuries.
                    The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                    - A. Lincoln

Comment

yard work is cool. and now with MHLC.. it's art really... more than just mowing

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        I have been depressed for most of my life and don't really have any hobbies.
                        Usually, hobbies develop out of needs. There has to be something? Fishing, hunting, woodworking, music....etc?

Comment

I don't personally believe hobbies develop out of needs.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                            I don't personally believe hobbies develop out of needs.
                            Why not? Certainly, needs of self esteem, confidence, accomplishment, satisfaction, entertainment, ect...create interests and hobbies. Online forum chatting is a hobby for some and interest to others. That certainly develops from some personal need.

Comment

they are just what you think is fun. and what you think is fun you do. and when you do what you do all the time.... you get good at what you do... which is all good and well.

there you go!

Comment

Working...
                              X