Danish Politician Convicted of Racism For Offending Muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish Politician Convicted of Racism For Offending Muslims

A Danish politician has been convicted with “racism” and ordered to pay a fine for offending Muslims under a law which makes insulting someone’s religion a criminal offense.
    Former European Parliament member Mogens Camre, who currently serves as a Danish People’s Party councilor in Gladsaxe, was hit with a fine of 8,000 DKK (1186 USD), for a tweet in which he compared radical Islam to Nazism.
    “Muslims continue where Hitler stopped. Only the same treatment that Hitler got will change the situation,” Camre tweeted last July.

Link to Source article:
    http://www.prisonplanet.com/danish-politician-convicted-of-racism-for-offending-muslims.html

If he would have stated "Radical Islam" or something like that rather than "Muslims" in the first sentence of his tweet, I wonder if he still would have been fined. After all, radical Islam is illegal according to Danish law so he couldn't be fined for telling people to follow the law, right? One word may have cost this guy a significant amount of money.

As to a law banning people from offending others with their speech, seriously?!? My goodness don't tell our politicians in America! I think Trump though might be able to reduce our debt ceiling on the other hand!

That's quite a massive "I forgot one word" mistake. By doing so, he basically called for the genocide of 1.5 billion people.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

In before someone makes a remark about Islam not being a race.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
        That's quite a massive "I forgot one word" mistake. By doing so, he basically called for the genocide of 1.5 billion people.
        I have to agree that his blaming Twitters character limit doesn't quite cut it. Though, I believe this is not the first time he said something offensive about Muslims. Hmmm... Let me see if I can find it.

Edit add: Found it!
        Back in 2001 he said "All westen countries are infected by muslims. Some of them talk nice to us, while they are waiting to be enough people, then they will kill us all".
        Back then he had parliamentary immunity, due to his membership of the European parlament. The case was dropped.

https://da.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogens_Camre

May need translator on link.
        Last edited by My Hubby Loves Civ; August 18, 2015, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
          Hmmm. Muslim is not a race but a religion. That would be like saying Christians are a race, wouldn't it?
          Last edited by My Hubby Loves Civ; August 18, 2015, 15:25.

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to defend genocide-proponents. His is the same mentality that ISIS espouses.
            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
              Well, if we say for the sake of argument that it actually is a race (and not just a kind of mental proxy for race, i.e. "one of those things swarthy people believe"), we have two basic ways to work through the implications:

1. Allow every other belief or belief system to count as a race as well, in which case essentially everyone on earth is a racist--even opposing racism becomes itself a form of racism--or
              2. Claim that Islam (and possibly other religions) counts as a race, but not other belief systems, because . . . (?)

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't much matter, but both solutions are nonsensical.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
                Yeah, sorry, I'm not going to defend genocide-proponents. His is the same mentality that ISIS espouses.
                Yes, I hope folks do not think I am defending this dumb Politician's statements. Obviously, this article caught my eye, since politically correct speech is a big deal here in America yet, Trump seems to keep pushing the speech envelope.

Comment

Religion should never be off limits for ridicule. People should be made fun of for holding irrational superstitions.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Certainly, rediculing a religious belief is not the same as thinking since you don't think like me you should be done away with, though!

Comment

It's Dinner. He's a big time bigot, so he may think that.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Actually the politician continues where hitler stopped

denmark,

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          It's Dinner. He's a big time bigot, so he may think that.
                          Aww...come on boys, play nice. Name calling posters is soooo uncouth. Let's just apply it to the thread subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                            Actually the politician continues where hitler stopped

denmark,
                            Ironic! I didn't even think of that.

Comment

Welcome to Poly

Comment

Working...
                              X