No announcement yet.

Inflatable Space Elevators!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is not possible today - the tower would need to be capable of withstanding high-velocity winds at extreme altitudes. and to put basically a airport at the top. the cost alone will keep this project firmly on the ground. right now this is a pipe dream, puffin too much of that gas I would say.

Comment

Theoretically - a ribbon made of carbon nanotubes might be able to form a true space elevator, but we don't know how to manufacture carbon nanotubes into ribbons of any reasonable length.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

In 2014, diamond nanothreads were first synthesized.[4] Since they have strength properties similar to carbon nanotubes, diamond nanothreads were quickly seen as candidate cable material as well.[5]

not making lengths of 25k miles yet... but because the are manufactured in a controlled way it's just now a matter of time and will.

Comment

This is a fantastic concept, but quite impractical. It will be made out of inflatable segments of Kevlar lined material, the fact that it may be filled with high pressure hydrogen, makes it a target for terrorist vandalisation, and a highly explosive target at that.

Because of its vast scale,I would think that there would be no way to defend its entire height and base from assault effectively.

Comment

I doubt a material exists which could survive the stresses of this design.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
              Certainly a good point to be made. With such an elevation differential, wouldn't the atmospheric winds create havoc with the tethers?

Comment

I think boring a slightly curving tunnel from India to the top of the Everest and launching rockets through it with a nuclear-powered railgun might be a more practical idea.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                  What stresses? Weather balloons go higher than 20km without disintegrating.

Comment

well for one... coriolis force. which influences objects in a rotating system. so think about a 20k mile cable. I think it can be done...

another one to think about... vibrational harmonics is another problem. The cable will have a natural resonant frequency, and if excited (say, by whatever you're sending up this thing) the vibrational energy could exceed tolerances of the material.

this would be a long ass cable.

Comment

According to the article it will take 10 years to build and cost roughly $5 billion. In reality that translates into 35 years to materialise and $500 billion. Perhaps by then, they will really have the quirks all worked out!

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        What stresses? Weather balloons go higher than 20km without disintegrating.
                        Weather balloons don't have terrorists plotting to blow them up.
                        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

i guess science finally made a condom that could fit me
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                          X