How do they make money off this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do they make money off this?

I went bargain shopping at Grocery Outlet today as they resell over stock groceries from the big chains but at steep discounts. Their produce kind of sucks and goes off in a few days so I avoid it but there are great deals on a lot of other stuff (canned goods, packaged foods, olive oil, bread, etc...) when I cam across a giant 20 oz bag Og Granny Goose brand potato chips for just $0.75. I bought some just to try them.

Surprisingly they are actually pretty good though I hardly eat potato chips these days I can still put them out as snacks when friends come over. So my question is how the hell can they make a profit selling a giant double sized bag of chips for just $0.75? Even if I assume they started out at $1.50 before the discount grocery store bought them that is still like $2.00 less than a regular sized bag of ruffles.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

They are made out of recycled packing peanuts?
    To The Hijack Police: I don't know what you are talking about. I didn't do it. I wasn't there. I don't even own a computer.

Comment

They taste like potato chips. There does seem to be something slightly different in the seasoning or maybe the oil they use but they are unmistakably potato chips.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Kind of speaks to the profit margin that retailers make, doesn't it?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

my god i love one-starring Oerdin-Thrades™.... MY GOD.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

That's easy. They have people, probably children, slave away in Third World countries for like 1 cent an hour, use substandard potatos and oil that will probably give you cancer, certainly heart disease.

Bingo! 75 cent bag of chips, enjoy
            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

They are just harvesting credit card data and stealing your identity.

Comment

I suspect that they're not out to make a profit, but are instead trying to cut their losses - when the groceries go to the discount store then they're considered a loss by the major chains, so if they can recoup a pittance then their losses are reduced
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

They just give granny a huge pot of boiling oil over a fire, give her a few truckloads of potatoes and then let her work 24/7, turning out potatoes into chips, without her getting paid a dime
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The general rule in the informercial business was that you needed to sell things at 4X (or more) your manufacturing cost in order to make money.
                    Last edited by pchang; August 10, 2015, 17:36.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                      I suspect that they're not out to make a profit, but are instead trying to cut their losses - when the groceries go to the discount store then they're considered a loss by the major chains, so if they can recoup a pittance then their losses are reduced
                      Yep, the only ones making a profit here is the discount store, anyone else involved is cutting a loss.

...what's the "best/sell/use by" date on that bag?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
                        though I hardly eat potato chips these days
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The big chains decided to get rid of Og Granny Goose brand potato chips because they weren't selling well and were a waste of shelf space that could be more profitably be used for chip brands that customers are willing to pay $3-4 for and sold them to Grocery Outlet for next to nothing and then Grocery Outlet made a profit selling the chips to a demographic consisting of cheapskates like you who want to shovel carbs, fat and salt down your digestive tract for as little money as possible.

Comment

that's an awesome story
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You're probably fat and lying about working out a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X