Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanished Secret Projects?

Hello all,

This is my first post after getting back into SMAX recently and finding this lovely site!

I have a problem that I haven't seen described elsewhere. I have played several games where it seems I am unable to build most of the secret projects that I have the tech for. This is especially true in the early and mid game and seems to ease up towards the late game. On first glance, I thought it was because other factions had simply built them first. But on checking the Secret Projects window, I found this only accounted for about 1/4 of the missing ones. So where did they go?

I'll give one example, playing a Builder game as the Spartans, Librarian difficulty, time warp start, mixed SMAC/SMAX factions. I chose Knowledge and was very active in tech trading, so in the later part of the early game I was up to tech level 5 or 6 in multiple trees. I should have had many early and mid-game projects available, but they didn't appear in my list of build options. As the turns spun by, other factions were completing them without my ever seeing them. The problem mysteriously vanished sometime at or before The Cloning Vats, which was one of the first ones to appear for me. I snagged it and when my population was booming they started appearing normally. Manifold Nexus, Network Backbone, etc. Easy transcendence victory with Cybernetic society.

Now I'm playing a new game on Transcend with different factions and seeing the exact same problem. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to Apolyton!

First thought is that you don't have the latest official patch. While playing a game, press Ctrl-F4. The version number should be 2.0. If that's not the problem, please post a save game that shows the situation. Thanks!
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Sounds crazy. The best thing would be that you posted a save of your game. Unfortunatedly you probably can't do that before a certain number of postings since you are new.

Maybe one of the moderators will be so kind to lift it if you ask nicely via PM - f.eks. Ming or Aeson.

Edit: Dammit, Petek, how do you do it ? Always faster than the rest of us
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the prompt responses and welcome. I'm sorry it's taken me all month to get back to this thread. I haven't even played since I posted it, though my reason is a happy one. A new romance has been blossoming in my life, so I've been spending my free time with her instead of Colonel Santiago. Ah, life off-screen...

To speak to your proposed fixes, I got my game from GoG so yes, I am using the latest patch. I'll try to save a future game at a choice moment (can be a bit tricky, because I like to play for long sittings using the Iron Man setting and don't save very often) and then contact a moderator to see if I can post it here. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X