Windows 10 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 problem

I knew one of these days it would just stop working, but hoping there is a fix out there!

Its been working fine until now! Windows 10 loads over Windows 8.1 and does not change any installed programs.

I play with the Planetary Pack. Was running fine on Windows 8.1 in Win XP compatibility mode. Did the Win 10 update and now it runs the firaxis logo and the screen to choose (alpha centari/alien crossfire) then I expect the "cpu not supported, want to continue anyway?" it just don't run any further, don't see that popup to choose?

Other question is does the GOG version have the same "cpu not supported" Popup. Wondering if I bought the GOG version if it would run right?

What's the settings for terranx.exe ? An what happens if you try to start that directly ?

Haven't seen the "cpu not supported" for years - I think it's this that disable the question :

[PREFERENCES]
    ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

in the Alpha Centauri,ini file (just put it in the top).
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That does not work either!
      I will keep trying, but its not looking good! Its got to be that popup that is causing the problem!
      I guess I will give it another uninstall/reinstall - but it don't look good! I will post again if I get it working!

Any other suggestions appreciated!

Comment

Running from Terranx don't work either. Same problem.

Comment

I might be an idiot - this (#18) says that it should be

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

it also suggest to get

Alpha Centauri (PC) PATCH - Update for XP - though, that shouldn't AFAIK not be nessecary if having the planetary pack wich it sounds like you have.

I admit that I'm shooting in the dark since I'm running Win7 and don't have any experience with neither 8 or 10
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Have you tried just hitting "Ok" one the cpu not supported popup? I get that on my v.1 Xfire in W7, and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
            AC2- the most active SMAC(X) community on the web.
            JKStudio - Masks and other Art

No pasarán

Comment

1 or 0 did not do anything.
              XP Patch did not either!
              did a full uninstall/reboot/install
              patch. put the Alpha ini backup file in place(after xp it would not create it on startup so have a backup of the file)
              changed it to run in XP compatibility mode. Also tried different resoulution settings.
              It just drops out of running after the firaxis logo and Screen to choose between the games. wont run either AC or AX. wont run from terran.exe or terranx.exe files in compatability mode either.
              Well maybe someone will come up with a fix. So I guess I will reload Civ 4 and play that awhile!! LOL At least my Grandson(16yr) will play multiplayer with me on Civ 4!!

Comment

No CPU not supported popup. It just drops out before I get the popup.

Comment

I think I'll nurse my 17 yo. win97 relic carefully.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Try v.2 of the scientIficPatch, Lori, attached here: http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php...64080#msg64080

-It fixes many, many things, and might just fix this.

No pasarán

Comment

Well looks like Microsoft 10 broke a lot of games. Did a search online and there are many games that wont run.
                      I was able to load and run Colonization and it ran fine.
                      Civ 4 and Civ 4 Beyond the Sword don't run. And Many Firaxis and Take 2 games have the same problems I have come across while looking online! So will wait a few days to see if Microsoft comes up with an update, but will go back to Windows 8.1 in a few days if they don't get this fixed. I also have problems with a few other non game programs.

Comment

I'll raise tracking down and fixing W10 compatibility with Yitzi...

No pasarán

Comment

GOG claims that their version runs on Windows 10. However, their ongoing support for Windows 10 may be shaky, since they write that

Please be advised that Windows 10 operating system will receive frequent hardware driver and software updates following its release; this may affect game compatibility.
                          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                          -- Kosh

Comment

I did bring it up with Yitzi - but right as he'd be away for 24 hours, and he hasn't responded yet...

No pasarán

Comment

Originally posted by Petek View Post
                              GOG claims that their version runs on Windows 10. However, their ongoing support for Windows 10 may be shaky, since they write that
                              I never got it to work on Windows 8, and had no better luck with Windows 10. I saw their "disclaimer" as well, but I would love to know ONE SINGLE PERSON that was able to get it to work on Windows 10

I have an old machine with Windows 7 on it, and it works fine. I don't think I will be updating that to 10 for LONG TIME.
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X