Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'll be taking a lot of time off work boss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah View Post
    When I was younger, I never used all my vacation days, but as I've gotten older, I get a lot closer to it. I still end up a day short here or there, but I've enjoyed trips to China, the PYRAMIDS, London, etc, on the company dime so I have never really felt cheated.
    as i work for myself i can set my own holidays, but i don't take that many. it was nice though just to take 3 weeks to travel around argentina and uruguay over christmas, or take friday and monday off now for a long weekend away, and not have to answer to anyone.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

There is also the wrinkle that when vacation is tracked as a benefit, any vacation balance gets paid out upon termination or resignation. By not tracking it for higher paying positions the company doesn't carry as much exposure to paying out 1, 2 or even more paychecks to a departing employee. I believe that also makes those vacation balances a liability on the balance sheet. If a big company like GE can do this across thousands of employees it might be worthwhile.

Comment

GE has probably done quite a bit of research and profiling on its staff. The HR admin savings could be huge for start.

It could lead to perverse outcomes which actually help the company, like people suspect that if they take too much leave that will be noticed or the policy will change and it will be held against them. So they actually take less leave, which helps the company's productivity and bottomline. Cunning.

But it would be a nightmare for middle managers I reckon. I am dealing with a case today where the rules about sick leave are actually helping us manage the welfare of a staff member - like the rules make them go to the doctor and get a medical certificate, so we know they are okay and can make sensible plans about staffing.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I work at GE, 40% of staff affected. The ones that i know do not like it. If you are termed or laid off, no vac pay. you are basically aligned with your boss. Guys with 5-6 weeks of vac now have none, effectively.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy View Post
            you are basically aligned with your boss.
            Exactly, and if you as a unit are seen as performing well there is potential for lots of vacation time (as an European I would consider more than 5-6 weeks as a lot, I get 7 including bank holidays, but generally do not manage to use). It can work out just fine, but it depends on how well you get on with your boss, and how well you all do together to set the baseline.
            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

If GE is going to make a change like this, then one could make a case for a class action lawsuit to get a payout of the formerly built up vacation time that now no longer exists.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It does seem with the holiday pay thing like it's just another attempt to screw the worker. Being america and all, I assume if someone took more holiday than their boss liked they could just be fired anyway right?

Comment

I just checked my sick leave balance - 2208 hours or 294 days on full pay built up for a rainy day over a long career.

I hardly ever get sick but would hate to lose that cushion for say a serious illness.

I'm rather proud of my unused sick leave balance
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Tell them you're suffering from an acute case of old age and take all the days off right before you are ready to retire.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

That is pretty much what I am tempted to do - you can't take sick leave with you, it's not paid out in serverance either.

Comment

I know a doctor in California who could write you a note......

Comment

Oh yes, we have those in Australia

I probably won't do it mainly because I am honourable - but also I am superstitious about good health. In other words I fear if I feigned serious illness I would probably end up getting one.

I'd say it goes all the way back to childhood and strong parental warnings against malingering and laziness. They had a strong work ethic, their whole generation did, which they linked to their good health and long life.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Your article also says that it is just professionals. Has any company tried this at a lower level?
                            I've heard that some smaller startups have done this for all employees but haven't seen any statistics.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Got paid hourly as an "independent contractor" for years, usually I could take unpaid vacation whenever I wanted if I gave enough notice. Didn't take more than a day or two over six years. And then if there's one thing more painful than taking unpaid vacation when you're getting paid hourly it's taking unpaid overtime when you're the owner and leaving means everything shuts down.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X