Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Jesus said, and what he actually meant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Jesus said, and what he actually meant...

When Jesus said "Love your neighbor as yourself," what he actually meant was "God hates fags"

When Jesus said that a rich man is as likely to enter heaven as a camel is to pass through the eye of a needle, he was actually referring to some gate in Jerusalem that didn't actually exist

When Jesus said "It's over nine thousand!", he was actually expressing concern over Kakarot's high blood pressure

Jesus sometimes referred to himself as "Mumm-ra, the ever-living," but in fact as a mummy he was undead, not ever-living

Despite numerous statements to the contrary, Jesus never did defeat Inspector Gadget
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

But perhaps I had better pass over our divines in silence and not stir this pool or touch this fair but unsavory plant, as a kind of men that are supercilious beyond comparison, and to that too, implacable; lest setting them about my ears, they attack me by troops and force me to a recantation sermon, which if I refuse, they straight pronounce me a heretic. For this is the thunderbolt with which they fright those whom they are resolved not to favor. And truly, though there are few others that less willingly acknowledge the kindnesses I have done them, yet even these too stand fast bound to me upon no ordinary accounts; while being happy in their own opinion, and as if they dwelt in the third heaven, they look with haughtiness on all others as poor creeping things and could almost find in their hearts to pity them; while hedged in with so many magisterial definitions, conclusions, corollaries, propositions explicit and implicit, they abound with so many starting-holes that Vulcan's net cannot hold them so fast, but they'll slip through with their distinctions, with which they so easily cut all knots asunder that a hatchet could not have done it better, so plentiful are they in their new-found words and prodigious terms. Besides, while they explicate the most hidden mysteries according to their own fancy—as how the world was first made; how original sin is derived to posterity; in what manner, how much room, and how long time Christ lay in the Virgin's womb; how accidents subsist in the Eucharist without their subject.

But these are common and threadbare; these are worthy of our great and illuminated divines, as the world calls them! At these, if ever they fall athwart them, they ***** up—as whether there was any instant of time in the generation of the Second Person; whether there be more than one filiation in Christ; whether it be a possible proposition that God the Father hates the Son; or whether it was possible that Christ could have taken upon Him the likeness of a woman, or of the devil, or of an ass, or of a stone, or of a gourd; and then how that gourd should have preached, wrought miracles, or been hung on the cross; and what Peter had consecrated if he had administered the Sacrament at what time the body of Christ hung upon the cross; or whether at the same time he might be said to be man; whether after the Resurrection there will be any eating and drinking, since we are so much afraid of hunger and thirst in this world. There are infinite of these subtle trifles, and others more subtle than these, of notions, relations, instants, formalities, quiddities, haecceities, which no one can perceive without a Lynceus whose eyes could look through a stone wall and discover those things through the thickest darkness that never were.

Add to this those their other determinations, and those too so contrary to common opinion that those oracles of the Stoics, which they call paradoxes, seem in comparison of these but blockish and idle—as 'tis a lesser crime to kill a thousand men than to set a stitch on a poor man's shoe on the Sabbath day; and that a man should rather choose that the whole world with all food and raiment, as they say, should perish, than tell a lie, though never so inconsiderable. And these most subtle subtleties are rendered yet more subtle by the several methods of so many Schoolmen, that one might sooner wind himself out of a labyrinth than the entanglements of the realists, nominalists, Thomists, Albertists, Occamists, Scotists. Nor have I named all the several sects, but only some of the chief; in all which there is so much doctrine and so much difficulty that I may well conceive the apostles, had they been to deal with these new kind of divines, had needed to have prayed in aid of some other spirit.

Paul knew what faith was, and yet when he said, "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, and the evidence of things not seen," he did not define it doctor-like. And as he understood charity well himself, so he did as illogically divide and define it to others in his first Epistle to the Corinthians, Chapter the thirteenth. And devoutly, no doubt, did the apostles consecrate the Eucharist; yet, had they been asked the question touching the "terminus a quo" and the "terminus ad quem" of transubstantiation; of the manner how the same body can be in several places at one and the same time; of the difference the body of Christ has in heaven from that of the cross, or this in the Sacrament; in what point of time transubstantiation is, whereas prayer, by means of which it is, as being a discrete quantity, is transient; they would not, I conceive, have answered with the same subtlety as the Scotists dispute and define it. They knew the mother of Jesus, but which of them has so philosophically demonstrated how she was preserved from original sin as have done our divines? Peter received the keys, and from Him too that would not have trusted them with a person unworthy; yet whether he had understanding or no, I know not, for certainly he never attained to that subtlety to determine how he could have the key of knowledge that had no knowledge himself. They baptized far and near, and yet taught nowhere what was the formal, material, efficient, and final cause of baptism, nor made the least mention of delible and indelible characters. They worshiped, 'tis true, but in spirit, following herein no other than that of the Gospel, "God is a Spirit, and they that worship, must worship him in spirit and truth;" yet it does not appear it was at that time revealed to them that an image sketched on the wall with a coal was to be worshiped with the same worship as Christ Himself, if at least the two forefingers be stretched out, the hair long and uncut, and have three rays about the crown of the head. For who can conceive these things, unless he has spent at least six and thirty years in the philosophical and supercelestial whims of Aristotle and the Schoolmen?
    That's how a professional does it, 1500's style.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

at Loin, tl;dr at TMM.

[edit:]

At everybody else: machines used to measure surface roughness are, essentially, turntables.
      Last edited by N35t0r; July 10, 2015, 10:10.
      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
        at Loin, tl;dr at TMM.

[edit:]

At everybody else: machines used to measure surface roughness are, essentially, turntables.
        I've got to stop reading sentences as if post-singularity. Took me awhile to parse the syntax.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If Jesus ever returns if nothing else I'm sure he is going to say he has been widely misquoted
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If Jesus comes to earth and claims he is Jesus he most likely will get sent to a psychiatrist (for claiming to be Jesus)
            If he is lucky and evades getting sent to a psychiatrist and then tries to get followers, I am sure his church/movement will get brandmarked as a sect by all major christian churches

Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Guvmint would probably nail him to a cross, again.

Or maybe he would be burnt as an heretic.

Comment

Is he still hosting Jesus & Pals in South Park, Colorado.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                  If Jesus comes to earth and claims he is Jesus he most likely will get sent to a psychiatrist (for claiming to be Jesus)
                  If he is lucky and evades getting sent to a psychiatrist and then tries to get followers, I am sure his church/movement will get brandmarked as a sect by all major christian churches

Hasn't that already happened several times?

Comment

I met a woman in a psych ward who said that sometimes she was Jesus. Only sometimes, mind you - only a crazy person would think that they were Jesus all of the time.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                    X