German worker killed by robot at VW plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German worker killed by robot at VW plant

BERLIN -- A robot has killed a contractor at one of Volkswagen's production plants in Germany, the automaker said Wednesday.

The man died Monday at the plant in Baunatal, about 100 kilometres (62 miles) north of Frankfurt, VW spokesman Heiko Hillwig said.

The 22-year-old was part of a team that was setting up the stationary robot when it grabbed and crushed him against a metal plate, Hillwig said.

He said initial conclusions indicate that human error was to blame, rather than a problem with the robot, which can be programmed to perform various tasks in the assembly process. He said it normally operates within a confined area at the plant, grabbing auto parts and manipulating them.

Another contractor was present when the incident occurred, but wasn't harmed, Hillwig said. He declined to give any more details about the case, citing an ongoing investigation.

German news agency dpa reported that prosecutors were considering whether to bring charges, and if so, against whom.
    A robot has killed a contractor at one of Volkswagen's production plants in Germany, the automaker said Wednesday.

To us, it is the BEAST.

lol

Comment

Old news. Already more garbage for me to deal with.

Comment

This is what happens when you fail to include the 3 Laws

Comment

In the boardroom
          "at least it was a contractor instead of union member"
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's so cynical.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower View Post
              This is what happens when you fail to include the 3 Laws
              The robot wasn´t fully installed yet ... AFAIK the worker killed was exactly the one who was responsible for installing the Asimov-Laws.
              Obviously he wasn´t able to complete his work
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                The robot wasn´t fully installed yet ... AFAIK the worker killed was exactly the one who was responsible for installing the Asimov-Laws.
                Obviously he wasn´t able to complete his work
                Should have been done before it left US Robotics. Can't give the anti Robot people anything to complain about.

Comment

Viki! Damnit! Not yet!!
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

at sarah o'connor
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Familiar with the story... the Sarah O'Connor angle was
                      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Sarah Connor [/nazi]
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yeah, we know.
                          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

I know you know.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I know you know I know, but do you know we know that the similarity in names is also funny?

Furthermore, if you were Ssarah COnnor, wouldn't you also try to fudge your identity in order to avoid other assasination events from the future?
                              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Working...
                              X