New Horizons nearing Yuggoth ehm Pluto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Horizons nearing Yuggoth ehm Pluto

In 12 days it has its closest approach ...
    already now it was able to detect Methane on Pluto as well as sending the best pictures home that we ever had of Pluto and his biggest moon, Charon

I heard, the Mi-Go already are on the streets of their Yuggothian cities, protesting the Bigh Brother-Approach of the Earthlings
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

cool.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

spelling bloopers?
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
        spelling bloopers?
        Yuggoth?
        Well, it is the name that the sub-planet we know as Pluto was given by his native species, the Mi-Go
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Is Pluto still considered a planet?
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
            Is Pluto still considered a planet?
            Dwarf-Planet ... although the Mi-Go surely disagree with this categorization

Comment

At 13.7 km/s it will be a quick trip past the "planet". Was it just not possible at that distance to set up an orbital insertion?

Anyway...Now we have been to all nine of the "original" planets and know what they look like.
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO View Post
                At 13.7 km/s it will be a quick trip past the "planet". Was it just not possible at that distance to set up an orbital insertion?
                A local engineering site says that if that should have happend it would either have taken 200 years to get there or the sattelite should have carried ~35 tons of fuel.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Jep ... with Kerbal Space Program you get a very good feeling for it ...
                  the higher the orbit (and the more declined its orbit is from the orbital plane of earth) the more dV you need in order to get to this orbital plane ...
                  and when you finally hit the gravity well of the planet, the more the flight path of the space ship is different from the orbit of the planet, the more dV you need in order for course correcdtions/decelerations so that you get into orbit around the planet (of course being made more dfifficulty, the smaller the planet (and therefore its gravity well) is.

(of course gravity well is a simplification ... in reality the gravity rises slowly the nearer you get to the planet ... so, it is rather hard to say "the spaceship is inside/outside of a planets gravity well")

Comment

When I see the term 'gravity well', I think about the dip in water level of the aquifer layer caused by constant water extraction from said well...
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      A local engineering site says that if that should have happend it would either have taken 200 years to get there or the sattelite should have carried ~35 tons of fuel.
                      Thanks BC! That makes sense.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Clearly someone needs to get off their ass and invent a warp drive.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It is obvious that the Mi-Go don´t like tourists ...
                          yesterday new hrizons experienced an anomaly which made it shut down the main computer, switch to the backup computer and put the autopilot into safe mode.

At the moment it is unclear what caused the problem (could very well be Mi-Go hacking attempts ) and it is reviewed, with hope to return to the normal flight schedule in a few days

I hope this doesn´t happen again during the time of closest approach ... would be sad not to be able to collect scientific data at this time

Comment

As such, it's better to buy whole beans and grind them by yourself to make your coffee. After studying at the National School of Fine Arts in Tegucigalpa (1995) he attended the School of Visual Arts in San Juan and graduated from the Universidad Nacional Aut. Yr after, many people prepared a 4 regarding cocoa beans.my page :: [link removed]
                            Last edited by Aeson; July 11, 2015, 01:35.

Comment

Nope ... it would be too expensive to send coffee beans to new horizons ... or to Yuggoth, no matter whether as whole beans or ground

But that´s the latest pic ... Pluto and Charon ... beautiful, even without coffee beans
                              Spoiler:

Last edited by Proteus_MST; July 11, 2015, 03:45. Reason: "or", not "of"

Comment

Working...
                              X