WTF is up with egg prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is up with egg prices?

I was at at Vons yesterday and their regular large AAA eggs, not organic or free range, we're $5.49 a dozen. I didn't buy any because someone is going to toss in a hand job before I pay almost $0.50 an egg. Google says there has been an outbreak of avian flu in a few Midwestern states and that federal law says the whole flock has to be put down if even a single bird tests positive so I get why egg production in those states are down.

What I don't get is that here in California most of our eggs are produced in state and our birds haven't been effected. Are fresh eggs really such a fungable commodity that they can ship them around the country profitably? I mean they have a limited shelf life so it sounds like they wouldn't travel all that far. Is this just profit taking or are eggs from the western states being sent back east to make up for their production shortages?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Maybe I should have named this thread "The Great egg-tastrophy."
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Yes, simple supply and demand. Eggs keep long enough for local problems to drive the national market.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Toss in a handjob....

Good one
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Supply and demand. Cal eggs are probably being shipped to areas where there are none.

However, chickens don't take that long to breed, supply should be back to normal in a few months unless there is more of the bird flu.
          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I paid ~$2.50 for a dozen extra large eggs a few weeks ago in Rochester.

Comment

I can get you a flat (30?) for $3.50
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I hope Dinner is enjoying his "third world banana republic status".

Comment

I can go to the nearby gourmet shop and buy 10 eggs for 67 roubles. That's less than 1.5$ per dozen.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Eggs

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                      I can go to the nearby gourmet shop and buy 10 eggs for 67 roubles. That's less than 1.5$ per dozen.
                      WTF is with selling eggs in 10s? They had 10 packs in Estonia too.

Comment

Why are you paying attention to how much your groceries cost?
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

He wants more money for craft beers.

Comment

a dozen eggs are about $1-$1.25 here.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

What would you pay for eggs (question to all of you). The situation I'm imagining is that eggs just cost that much (so you can't just go to a different store or wait a few weeks to have eggs). Your choice is to either pay or go without (eat something else). I think I would go to 3-4$ an egg before it even slowed my egg consumption at all. Most of what I eat is similarly far removed from the actual price. Which is why I mostly ignore prices and buy whatever I want.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X