No announcement yet.

WTF is up with egg prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If eggs cost $3 a piece, cultural norms would be different so you would probably be eating fewer eggs.

Comment

I probably would not have noticed the price increase if I had not seen a news story earlier in the week about it.

I normally buy Egglands best Xtra large 18 pack as a rule so I'm not usually looking at the price anyway, just that none are broken, put in cart, move on.

Interesting that the price on the egg beaters that I get (says they have real eggs in them...right), did not budge.

I am a little more price sensitive to things that vary greatly, like meat prices at various stores or produce prices during season.
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I generally don't look at the cost of groceries and such things.

Which has resulted in me (in Chile) spending ~12$ USD for 1/2 kg of bismati rice and ~30$ USD for a small container of Canadian Maple Syrup.

And I am not wealthy, and while I while I do not have problems with monthly liquidity now I did in the not so distant past. I really should pay attention to price.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Bought two dozen organic eggs from Costco in Lenexa, KS for $6.50 or therabouts. I don't believe organics were hit by the flu, and at about $0.25 an egg, it's still an insanely cheap source of food.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            What would you pay for eggs (question to all of you). The situation I'm imagining is that eggs just cost that much (so you can't just go to a different store or wait a few weeks to have eggs). Your choice is to either pay or go without (eat something else). I think I would go to 3-4$ an egg before it even slowed my egg consumption at all. Most of what I eat is similarly far removed from the actual price. Which is why I mostly ignore prices and buy whatever I want.
            I'm imagining a situation where Oerdin will pay $3 for a dozen eggs and will throw out six because they go off, but won't buy a pack of six eggs for $2.50.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And I don't do any food shopping and don't know how much things like milk or bread cost. The only time I see the cost of the Waitrose deliveries is when entries appear on my wife's credit card statement.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                I can go to the nearby gourmet shop and buy 10 eggs for 67 roubles. That's less than 1.5$ per dozen.
                About two years ago they were $0.99 per dozen. Either they are all being shipped back east or there is a hell of a lot of profit taking. We are talking 550% increases in price.

I blame Iowa.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Why are you paying attention to how much your groceries cost?
                  Because I am a cheap half Scottish bastard who was brought up to be thrifty and never pay a damn penny more than I have to. As a fellow capitalist I would have expected you to understand that position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                    I'm imagining a situation where Oerdin will pay $3 for a dozen eggs and will throw out six because they go off, but won't buy a pack of six eggs for $2.50.
                    I will hard boil those *****es as they make a great portion controlled snack. I don't like wasting things.

Comment

What would you pay for eggs (question to all of you). The situation I'm imagining is that eggs just cost that much (so you can't just go to a different store or wait a few weeks to have eggs). Your choice is to either pay or go without (eat something else). I think I would go to 3-4$ an egg before it even slowed my egg consumption at all. Most of what I eat is similarly far removed from the actual price. Which is why I mostly ignore prices and buy whatever I want.
                      In news just in, KH is rich.

Comment

Eggs cost about $0.15 each here.

If you want balut that's more expensive. You don't want balut...

Comment

It is probably the only food I've said no to. It's so ironic that it was invented in a 99% practicing Catholic nation, given that it's an abortion.

Comment

I wish I hadn't googled balut

Comment

I'm with KH here; groceries are so cheap that you have to be making your living off blowjobs under the highway overpass before it starts to be a problem. Especially simple stuff like bread, milk, eggs, most vegetables, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                                In news just in, KH is rich.
                                Even when I was a graduate student the answer would have been ~1.50 an egg
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X