Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should personal attacks be allowed on Apolyton Off Topic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should personal attacks be allowed on Apolyton Off Topic?

poll
    Yes
    40.00%
    No
    36.00%
    Bananas are personal sdfhdbhjgfdkgf
    24.00%

The poll is expired.

You smell of wee.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Personal attack is one that the person feels is an attack. This is how our society often runs now, but it is logically inconsistent. This is because there is no way to objectively decide what is a personal attack or not.

Many people might feel personally attacked by Ben's posts about homosexuals. Others might feel personally attacked by Loin's post on Christ or MrFun's posts on Conservatives.

Either we have to make some huge restrictions and become a police state or we have to allow most everything and only police when the community can't take a poster anymore.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

None of this would be a problem if we had mods that actually moderated.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I know what I favor.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

**** your poll
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How I view most 'debates' on this forum -

I've always liked Python and 'Poly... don't change.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                **** your poll
                Banana option to long for your taste?
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                  Personal attack is one that the person feels is an attack. This is how our society often runs now, but it is logically inconsistent. This is because there is no way to objectively decide what is a personal attack or not.

Many people might feel personally attacked by Ben's posts about homosexuals. Others might feel personally attacked by Loin's post on Christ or MrFun's posts on Conservatives.

Either we have to make some huge restrictions and become a police state or we have to allow most everything and only police when the community can't take a poster anymore.

JM
                  A personal attack is a derogatory statement about an individual, not a derogatory statement about a group of people.

Comment

So "You smell of wee and so does your Mum" is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      None of this would be a problem if we had mods that actually moderated.
                      Well mods need rules to moderate by. I would say given the rules I've asked them to enforce, the moderators we have have done a close to a perfect job.

Comment

Originally posted by giblets View Post
                        A personal attack is a derogatory statement about an individual, not a derogatory statement about a group of people.
                        I take that personally!
                        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

But what most people don't like about Ben's posts would not be defined as a personal attack and so would be completely acceptable.

I don't think this is what people desire.

It isn't what I desire, when I want moderation.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
                            I take that personally!
                            Canadians are retards.

Comment

You've got to remember the audience you're dealing with. Back in 1999/2000 when Poly was (over)moderated, half of the traffic on RT was arguing about the rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X