No announcement yet.

Ignore List of Thread Starter keeps Ignored from Posting in Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An alternate implementation that might be more "fair" / cause less dissent would be to allow posters to post in any thread, but if a poster is restricted from posting in a thread due to being on the thread starter's ignore list (or whatever the criteria is) then all of their posts in the thread would be masked as though they were on everybody's ignore list - so the thread starter can discourage but not forbid the poster's participation. I know that there's a hell-ban mod, but that's global - I'm assuming that somebody's made a thread-local implementation of it though.
    That would have me ignoring posts of people that I don't want ignored. No go. I can't see that flying. Say Mr. Fun bans slowwy from his thread. Why shouldn't I be able to see slowwy's posts in Fun's thread? Where I haven't posted in at all?

I think the solution is really what we have now with the Ignore. It was changed so people would not longer quote me. You were unhappy then, you're unhappy now.

In short I don't see people being happy without a full ban, regardless as to how you tinker around with it. It seems a lot of work, for little gain.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

You can start whatever threads you want so long as they are within the rules.
      I'm not Mr. Fun, Aeson. I've tried to stick with that for the most part. I think my last political threadstart was the new pope.

I know that Poly isn't really interested in my opinions so I've stuck to commenting on other people's threads. That way my comments reflect things that Apolyton is already interested in.

I think that's a reasonable compromise.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        An alternate implementation that might be more "fair" / cause less dissent would be to allow posters to post in any thread, but if a poster is restricted from posting in a thread due to being on the thread starter's ignore list (or whatever the criteria is) then all of their posts in the thread would be masked as though they were on everybody's ignore list - so the thread starter can discourage but not forbid the poster's participation. I know that there's a hell-ban mod, but that's global - I'm assuming that somebody's made a thread-local implementation of it though.
        It might annoy people enough they would stop viewing what was posted. But the worst offenders would probably still get enough people clicking to view the post that it would end up little different than it is now.

Comment

Like dickgirls.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We don't talk about dickgirls, slowwy.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              Like dickgirls.
              Congratulations!
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson View Post
                I'm banned from counterglow.
                I doubt it!

Seriously though, what's more fun than playing whack-a-mole with Ben and Kid...? Their sheer stubbornness should be applauded and not ignored.

I do have an idea though, maybe they should only be allowed to post in the Lancer forum and we can choose to interact with them if we choose to, or not...?
                "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

The suggestion that anyone on "ignore" by the thread starter is prevented from posting seems a stupid, childish and petulant idea.

Those suggesting such a thing should grow up and stop being so spiteful.

Comment

This is a genius idea Aeson, and I salute you for it. You can tell its superb, because Ben hates it.

Just on a technical point though, what happens if someone has already posted in a thread and THEN gets put on ignore by the thread starter? If that then stops them posting further, that could lead to unpleasantness.

Comment

Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                      I doubt it!

Seriously though, what's more fun than playing whack-a-mole with Ben and Kid...? Their sheer stubbornness should be applauded and not ignored.

I do have an idea though, maybe they should only be allowed to post in the Lancer forum and we can choose to interact with them if we choose to, or not...?
                      I actually am banned from counterglow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mwsnap-114 2015-06-02, 16_42_40.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	9101658

The Civilized OT no longer exists. We could make it again, but making a "Civilized OT" to house Ben and Kid and anyone who wants to argue with them seems misleading.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                        Just on a technical point though, what happens if someone has already posted in a thread and THEN gets put on ignore by the thread starter? If that then stops them posting further, that could lead to unpleasantness.
                        I haven't tested this. I think it stops further posting. I admit that's not ideal, but neither is having each and every thread end up the same old ****fest.

Comment

I actually am banned from counterglow.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	mwsnap-114 2015-06-02, 16_42_40.png
Views:	1
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	9101658

How tf did you manage that?

The Civilized OT no longer exists. We could make it again, but making a "Civilized OT" to house Ben and Kid and anyone who wants to argue with them seems misleading.
                          Make it again, but either restrict their posting to that forum and police them according to its terms - or create an "Uncivilised OT" and banish them to it, so that anyone who wants to interact with them can do so and those who don't can be left in peace...

Both of those seem like good solutions to me.
                          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

Poly is doomed.
                            Order of the Fly
                            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I haven't tested this. I think it stops further posting. I admit that's not ideal, but neither is having each and every thread end up the same old ****fest.
                              Completely agree. My only worry is that people would be able to game the system by temp ignoring people just to troll. Overall though, its definitely better than the current situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                                Probably because I use the Globe cell network here in the Philippines, and everyone who uses it will have the same IP address (or small range of IP addresses). They seem to have banned that IP range.

I like to think they banned half of the Philippines just to get rid of me popping in to post once every 2 or 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X