No announcement yet.

Irish Marriage Equality Referendum Draws Near

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typical ben. He just makes things up, and when called on it, weasels and tries to twist what he said until he finds something more plausible. (he's even bad at the second part)
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• What mistake? Those with a British grandparent are eligible to earn citizenship via this Visa. First the argument was, "Ben doesn't have a clue" to, "whoa, Ben taught me something. I'd better raise such a stink so that folks don't think that Ben actually knew something valuable. I should let my family know about this Visa I had no clue about".
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• He just makes things up
        Apparently I was right, Rah. Thanks for acknowledging it.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          What mistake? Those with a British grandparent are eligible to earn citizenship via this Visa. First the argument was, "Ben doesn't have a clue" to, "whoa, Ben taught me something. I'd better raise such a stink so that folks don't think that Ben actually knew something valuable. I should let my family know about this Visa I had no clue about".
          Anyone can become a citizenship through some route, such as a work visa. If that's your claim, anyone can claim British citizenship and claim to be British.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            What mistake? Those with a British grandparent are eligible to earn citizenship via this Visa.
            No, they are not. They are eligible to be in the UK for 5 years (providing they meet other criteria too), nothing more.

Comment

• Originally posted by kentonio View Post
              No, they are not. They are eligible to be in the UK for 5 years (providing they meet other criteria too), nothing more.
              After five years you can apply for citizenship. But as I say, this is not unique to the ancestry visa. You could be in the UK on any visa that gives you leave to remain - such as a work visa, or EU citizen. Ben's claim is wrong at face value, or through his contortion of the common language, a completely valueless statement.

Comment

• There is a requirement of good or fit character. So close Ben, so close...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                  After five years you can apply for citizenship. But as I say, this is not unique to the ancestry visa. You could be in the UK on any visa that gives you leave to remain - such as a work visa, or EU citizen. Ben's claim is wrong at face value, or through his contortion of the common language, a completely valueless statement.
                  Yes, that's what I said.

Comment

• Ben likes to double down on stupid.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• So, with french cityzenship, according to Ben i'm British too
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• Everyone in the EU is British

Comment

• Don't worry, he'll come on and post that that's not what he really meant and what he actually meant (which will be different) is true. Which he will repeat until he has stated something so vague that it won't sound quite as stupid.
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• the vatican gives its reaction to the result

A landmark vote to allow same-sex marriage in the Republic of Ireland was a "defeat for humanity", a senior Vatican official has said.
                            Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's secretary of state, said he was "very saddened" by the result.

In the referendum, 62% were in favour of changing the Irish constitution to allow gay and lesbian couples to marry.
                            However, Cardinal Parolin said it showed the church needed to improve how it preached the Christian message.

The senior diplomat made the comments during a conference in Italy on Tuesday night, according to the Italian news agency, Ansa.
                            "The Church must take account of this reality, but in the sense of reinforcing its commitment to evangelization," he said.

"I think that you cannot just talk of a defeat for Christian principles, but of a defeat for humanity.
                            "The family remains at the centre and we have to do everything to defend it and promote it.

"Hitting it would be like taking the foundations away from the building of the future".

Soon after taking office, Pope Francis commented: "If a person is gay and seeks God and has good will, who am I to judge him?"

On Sunday, one of Ireland's most senior Catholic clerics called for the Church to take a "reality check" following the vote.
                            Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop of Dublin, said the Church in Ireland needed to "reconnect" with young people.

In Italy, the government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is preparing to present legislation that would allow civil unions between gay couples.
                            The Irish referendum has also boosted calls in Germany, which allow same-sex civil unions, to go further and legalise same-sex marriage.

Pressure has started to grow in Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democratic Union (CDU), which opposes any change.
                            "One would think that what the Catholic Irish can do, we can do too," CDU parliamentarian Jens Spahn told the German Die Welt newspaper.

The yes result has also led to calls for the introduction of same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland.
                            The first gay marriages are likely to take place in the Republic of Ireland in early autumn.

Same-sex marriage is now legal in 20 countries worldwide.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• is there legally any difference between a civil union and a marriage? (other than semantics)

Comment

• it depends on the place i think; there are often different processes to go through. usually a civil union will give similar rights to a marriage.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X