Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many Americans find it wrong to burn an American flag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

people burning flags are not expressing their disgust with (american) principles, they're more likely disgusted by our departure from those principles
    Although I agree that to some extent US is lately doing more talk than walk when principles are concerned, I've seen people burn US flag just because they have been fooled into thinking of US as the root of their problems or at least close to that root.
    I think this is most often seen in Russia and Middle East.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
      Burning a symbol that represents people that gave you the right is illogical. Not surprising though, for an idiot to not comprehend.
      Many things are illogical, that doesn't mean they should be illegal.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Burning a symbol that represents people that gave you the right is illogical. Not surprising though, for an idiot to not comprehend.
        I don't see how this would apply to someone in, say, Venezuela or Iran.
        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

It wouldn't, but then, that isn't within the purview of this thread.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

What if it's a witch wearing a US flag bikini? Good thing or bad thing?

Comment

An american can find it wrong for a foreginer to burn an american flag too
              Indifference is Bliss

Comment

This is not an argument a proponent of natural rights (not me) would find compelling.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                  What if it's a witch wearing a US flag bikini? Good thing or bad thing?
                  wrapping oneself in the flag offends me, but she'd have my vote

Comment

Besides, doesn't the flag represent the country itself rather than the people (yes, one can say the country is the people, but that can be disputed)
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Coming from someone who loves America so much, that he has no problem with the Confederate flag.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I have yet to see Mr. Fun burning an american flag. I'm not even going to adress the stupidity behind the rest of your post.
                        The point being is that there's a reason he hasn't left. Which is why flag burning is illogical.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

but that includes the word "freedom" at least a dozen times. Anybody voting for the referendum / amendment / whatever has their ballot shredded.
                          I'd agree, but I'd substitute 'equality' and 'fairness'.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                            Is it just because it's not politically correct to do so?
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                              Now you understand what really happened in Baltimore.
                              I just heard a story on NPR about a bunch of retards in Baltimore who have false memories about police shooting another unarmed black teenager. I think it's important to share that.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                                The American flag is used as a symbol of America. Most Americans are patriotic and have feelings of loyalty to America. They feel betrayed if an American burns it.
                                People upset by desecration of symbols are stupid.
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X