Richie Benaud memorial thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richie Benaud memorial thread

This deserves more than just my paltry mention in the Dead Pool thread. Richie Benaud was already pretty much assured of fame as a great cricketer. Not legend, but certainly a great. However sport is a big deal in the modern world, and I'll stand by my firm belief that the great man was the best sports commentator there has ever been.

When Richie was at the microphone, it stopped being entertainment and started being art. While he might have seemed positively taciturn in comparison to most wittering buffoons in this field, he made every word and perfectly timed pause count.

I'd go so far as to say that the whole sport thing was just a nice extra, really. What Benaud is really going to be remembered for is single-handedly killing the national stereotype of Australians as being convicts and bar-room brawlers. It's hard to cling to those notions when contemplating one of the most urbane men that ever drew breath. God speed, you impossibly elegant old bastard.

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

i spent many a day, and more than a few nights listening to him narrate test matches from around the globe. his combination with geoffery boycott in the commentary box was a joy to behold. he'll be sadly missed.
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

England's favourite Australian.

Comment

Benaud may not have been a legendary player but over 10 years in the national team at a time of immortals is not a bad effort. He was regarded as a cricket captain of renown, one of the best ever, a legend for that. Benaud and Don Bradman, who was chairman of selectors at the time, became lifelong friends, with Richie always showing respect to Bradman as the senior man, and probably the greatest cricketer ever.

Apparently the Don, another of life's true gentlemen, had enormous respect for Richie as a man and a player. Leading greats and getting the best out of them at a time when England was also very strong isn't easy. There were some unforgettable encounters, played in a great spirit. Henry Blofield wrote a great tribute to Benaud's journalistic and commentary skills. Richie learned his trade, starting out as a police roundsman on a Sydney newspaper. Cricket paid a pittance in those days.

Richie helped set the sporting tone as well - he captained in the famous tied test with the West Indies and was remembered by the likes of Gary Sobers for helping West Indies establish itself as a force in cricket. They particularly appreciated being treated as equals by Benaud and his team at a time when the White Australia policy was still in force.

The TV commentary is so breathless and gaudy these days, Bumble and Boof - the Australian equivalents are even worse, that I turn the TV sound down and put the radio commentary on if I can. Losing Benaud's class was part of that.

Then he died in a quintessentially Australian way - skin cancer. All those long days in the field finally caught up with him - as they will for many of us - but I doubt he would change a thing. He will be missed.
        Last edited by Alexander's Horse; April 17, 2015, 23:13.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
          with Richie always showing respect to Bradman as the senior man, and probably the greatest cricketer ever.
          No need for the "probably" there.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
          X