Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British people are finally honest in a poll

Most Britons are not religious, finds latest poll

A new Sunday Times/YouGov survey has shown that 62% of Britons when asked would say they are ‘not religious’, a figure which is consistent with most national polls of the last decade, including a recent Survation poll last November.

In recent years politicians have used claims that Britain is a Christian country, or a country made up mainly of Christians, as justification for policies which give special favour to Christian and other religious organisations, including through support for ‘faith’ schools and for the entrenched position of bishops in our legislature. Most recently, the Department for Communities and Local Government promised £400,000 in public funds exclusively for use in helping to grow ‘places of worship’.

However, recent polls have consistently shown that a majority of Britons are non-religious, and that religious Britons don’t feel that religion is important to their identity. The latest YouGov survey has again shown this to be the case, finding that Christians are a minority within a culturally diverse, multi-belief Britain.

BHA Director of Public Affairs and Campaigns Pavan Dhaliwal commented, ‘Non-religious people come from all walks of life and as this latest poll shows, they continue to make up a greater and greater share of the overall population. Attempts to base policy on a perception that Britain is mostly Christian simply won’t cut it any longer – and politicians will soon find that such policies have little support from the wider public.’
    https://humanism.org.uk/2015/04/09/m...s-latest-poll/

I somehow thought this would be about the Dental do-it-yourself Kits
    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

I wish my country was so enlightened.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I suspect there might be a not insignificant difference between "not religious" and "doesn't believe in the Christian god," but I obviously don't know.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          I suspect there might be a not insignificant difference between "not religious" and "doesn't believe in the Christian god," but I obviously don't know.
          British people are mostly just heathens.

Comment

Hence God has cursed you with horrible teeth
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

And an accent that makes American women horny.

Comment

And I think all those Christians are in Liverpool only
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yet one more reason (as if we needed one) for the annihilation of Liverpool.

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                    And an accent that makes American women horny.
                    Only the posh accents.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by kentonio View Post
                      Yet one more reason (as if we needed one) for the annihilation of Liverpool.
                      Could you add to the list the fact that they never stop harping on about the Beatles. Jesus, they've been dining out on that one for decades!
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Only the posh accents.
                        Nope, fraid not.

Comment

You can believe otherwise if it makes you feel better.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            Could you add to the list the fact that they never stop harping on about the Beatles. Jesus, they've been dining out on that one for decades!
                            Let's also add their 'famous sense of humour', their dress sense that never evolved past stealing tracksuits from shops on the continent during travel to European away games, and their obsession with Liverpool FC being the 'biggest club in the world' despite not having won the league for 25 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              You can believe otherwise if it makes you feel better.
                              I know otherwise. We can take a poll of the other British people here too if you really need your hopes dashed?

Comment

Working...
                              X