Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just go with being an earthling.

Comment

• So glad I don't waste my time on this BS...
      "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• Yes, you'd rather waste your time on worthwhile pursuits like posting on Apolyton
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Busted!
          "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

• "I wonder if I have a purpose. ... Why am I wasting time when I could be on Apolyton?"
            Moby
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• If I left poly, I could no longer laugh at you...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                I haven't closely followed the TH community (it does exist) in a couple years. Yeah, there are people who talk about this kind of thing, but I can't really tell you much more than that. One of the things that gets talked about is the idea of yielding more and more of your will to autonomous agents that are only nominally under your control. The dystopian result there is eventually you won't have to make decisions about what you want because what you want will have already been provided for you by your agent before you even realized you wanted it. And this might not even be a sinister thing so much as a, like you say, paternalistic thing. Each step along the way toward this end is all about anticipating the wants of the end user, until the easiest way to do that is to simply create the wants of the end user by not even providing a choice.
                That excerpt you read a couple of years back was me musing on this subject. The novel was aborted because it would have been too damn depressing even for me, and I wanted to break myself of the doom-and-gloom habit. By the by, are you still reworking LT&W, or parts thereof? And why not?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

• Originally posted by I AM MOBIUS View Post
                  If I left poly, I could no longer laugh at you...
                  Yes you could. Insane people laugh for no reason.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    That excerpt you read a couple of years back was me musing on this subject. The novel was aborted because it would have been too damn depressing even for me, and I wanted to break myself of the doom-and-gloom habit. By the by, are you still reworking LT&W, or parts thereof? And why not?
                    I started a... something (novella, maybe?) about a year ago that was painfully self-referential and depressing. Didn't get very far with that. Haven't worked on LT&W in awhile. Busy with school and such. I'm in the thinking really hard phase of a couple new short stories, though.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Yes you could. Insane people laugh for no reason.
                      MOBIUS doesn't seem to think he's Napoleon, so we can rule out him being a stereotypical mentally ill person.

Comment

Working...
                      X