Calirofrnia has about 1 years worth of water left

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calirofrnia has about 1 years worth of water left

At least, that's the magic number NASA has determined with satellite photos. Interesting that NASA is saying this, and not, say, the Bureau of Reclamation. What are the options? What are your plans if the city institutes literal water-hours not to dissimilar to a naval ship?

Given the historic low temperatures and snowfalls that pummeled the eastern U.S. this winter, it might be easy to overlook how devastating California's winter was as well.

As our “wet” season draws to a close, it is clear that the paltry rain and snowfall have done almost nothing to alleviate epic drought conditions. January was the driest in California since record-keeping began in 1895. Groundwater and snowpack levels are at all-time lows. We're not just up a creek without a paddle in California, we're losing the creek too.

Data from NASA satellites show that the total amount of water stored in the Sacramento and San Joaquin river basins — that is, all of the snow, river and reservoir water, water in soils and groundwater combined — was 34 million acre-feet below normal in 2014. That loss is nearly 1.5 times the capacity of Lake Mead, America's largest reservoir.

Statewide, we've been dropping more than 12 million acre-feet of total water yearly since 2011. Roughly two-thirds of these losses are attributable to groundwater pumping for agricultural irrigation in the Central Valley. Farmers have little choice but to pump more groundwater during droughts, especially when their surface water allocations have been slashed 80% to 100%. But these pumping rates are excessive and unsustainable. Wells are running dry. In some areas of the Central Valley, the land is sinking by one foot or more per year.

As difficult as it may be to face, the simple fact is that California is running out of water — and the problem started before our current drought. NASA data reveal that total water storage in California has been in steady decline since at least 2002, when satellite-based monitoring began, although groundwater depletion has been going on since the early 20th century.
    How it will affect those of us NOT in California:

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

This was the year without a winter. it isn't even officially spring and summer conditions are already here.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Mojave got a lot of rain recently, the problem is very little of it hit the mountains. Water in the desert essentially goes away after a few days, what you guys needed was more precipitation going towards the Sierras to increase the snowpack.
      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Almond price in this part of the world is 2x comparing to what it was two years ago as is, most of the almonds even here are from California.
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Why dont you guys try using Hydroponics to lower the prices of the commodities?

as for the potable water, they really need to start sotring rain water by now...

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivalCrow View Post
            Why dont you guys try using Hydroponics to lower the prices of the commodities?
            Because it isn't land-efficient, and uses water anyway.

as for the potable water, they really need to start sotring rain water by now...

What do you think reservoirs are?

Comment

I'll really miss strawberries.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We should let the market fix the problem.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wrong! Our problems should lead to fixed markets!

Comment

In this particular almond case the markets are actually fixing the problem, draught one will be "fixed by the markets" when the state water supplies collapse, remaining water becomes prohibitively expensive, followed by everyone moving out of arid parts of California.

State fixing the problem is also possible, by building 1000 or so desalination plants and as many nuclear power plants as necessary to provide for increased energy needs. That solution will never be provided by the market.
                    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Nothing can fix this.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                        In this particular almond case the markets are actually fixing the problem, draught one will be "fixed by the markets" when the state water supplies collapse, remaining water becomes prohibitively expensive, followed by everyone moving out of arid parts of California.

State fixing the problem is also possible, by building 1000 or so desalination plants and as many nuclear power plants as necessary to provide for increased energy needs. That solution will never be provided by the market.
                        What's the bill?

Comment

my ballpark would be about a trillion $ ( if they could do it for Iraq, why not California? ), not to mention that this will actually help the economy.

Comment

or they could move away from monocultures and adopt more sustainable agricultural practices.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                              my ballpark would be about a trillion $ ( if they could do it for Iraq, why not California? ), not to mention that this will actually help the economy.
                              They might be as poor as Iraq after they pay that bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X