Got Korean condom stocks? Feel free to splurge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Korean condom stocks? Feel free to splurge

South Korea's highest court struck down a decades-old law banning adultery, a statute that critics said is anachronistic and infringes on personal freedom, sending shares in the country's biggest condom-maker surging.

Seoul: South Korea's highest court struck down a decades-old law banning adultery, a statute that critics said is anachronistic and infringes on personal freedom, sending shares in the country's biggest condom-maker surging.

The law had been enacted in 1953 to protect women in a male-dominated society where divorce was rare and had made marital infidelity punishable by jail.

"The law is unconstitutional as it infringes people's right to make their own decisions on sex and secrecy and freedom of their private life, violating the principle banning excessive enforcement under the constitution," said Seo Ki-seok, a Constitutional Court justice, reading an opinion representing five justices.

Seven members of the nine-judge panel deemed the law to be unconstitutional.

Shares in Unidus Corp, which makes latex products including condoms, soared to the 15 per cent daily-limit gain after the ruling.

Critics have said the law against adultery is outdated in a society where rapid modernisation has frequently clashed with traditionally conservative values.

In 2008, the court had upheld the law, citing the society's legal perception that adultery is damaging to social order.

Several thousand spouses file criminal adultery complaints each year in South Korea, although it is rare for someone to be jailed. Prosecutors say no one was put behind bars last year although 892 were indicted on adultery charges.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Better late than never I suppose. Will this affect the used panty vending machine market? Or is that just Japan?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Honestly, if you're married and are cheating you're a horrible person... seems like an OK law to me.

Oh well.
      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

nobody's going to make a spooge joke?
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
          Better late than never I suppose. Will this affect the used panty vending machine market? Or is that just Japan?
          My roommate says he couldn't find those any of the times he's visited Japan.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash View Post
            Honestly, if you're married and are cheating you're a horrible person... seems like an OK law to me.

Oh well.
            I agree that it makes you a horrible person, but I don't think it ought to be illegal. Lots of things make you a horrible person, yet I wouldn't want the government legislating on many of them.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Are Korean men more likely to use condoms when cheating than Europeans or Americans?
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Korean condoms would be short
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  I agree that it makes you a horrible person, but I don't think it ought to be illegal. Lots of things make you a horrible person, yet I wouldn't want the government legislating on many of them.
                  This is another country, culture... in the US I'd scoff at it and agree with you, but why should a country decide "well, we're just catching up with modern values" when perhaps it's the modern values that are wrong?

Comment

I thought laws like that were just manifestations of an inherently conservative society, you know, the holy sacred family, religion, motherland, family motto (and all its international variations). Never thought it was about protecting either the husband or the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash View Post
                      This is another country, culture... in the US I'd scoff at it and agree with you, but why should a country decide "well, we're just catching up with modern values" when perhaps it's the modern values that are wrong?
                      It's a country not legislating its cityzen's private lives. It has nothing to do on how 'wrong' or 'right' adultery is, it has more o do on what should and what shouldn't be the government's role.
                      Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Well I think his point was that other cultures have different ideas of whether the government should be regulating private lives. Most East Asian countries, FWIW, aren't necessarily appalled at the government being involved in private lives to a major extent.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran and cocney are a solid source of substantiale information. No joking

Comment

Originally posted by Bereta_Eder View Post
                            Imran and cocney are a solid source of substantiale information. No joking
                            Meh
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                              Well I think his point was that other cultures have different ideas of whether the government should be regulating private lives. Most East Asian countries, FWIW, aren't necessarily appalled at the government being involved in private lives to a major extent.
                              Thank you. Just seems strange that their decision is that it's the "modern" thing to do when from the OP it states the reason for it was a protection for women.

Comment

Working...
                              X