X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
    Too bad Bob Dylan's music sucks ass then

Dude can't sing at all
    Thank you for sharing your stupid opinion.

Comment

Too bad Bob Dylan's music sucks ass then

Dude can't sing at all
      my point exactly - it's the music not the meaning - you like it or you don't

I happen to like Dylan

Last edited by Alexander's Horse; February 19, 2015, 15:18.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Sounds like an attention grab.
        Yeah. My first thought upon opening this thread was... despite what he may say, I think the lyrics really will end up meaning "HEY I NEED MORE MONEY"
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Don't be such a hater. If nothing else, I have to admire McLean holding out long enough that his adolescent scribblings have magically become a "historical document" worth over a million bucks.

Good on him, I say!
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'm not hating. The song is okay. It's been played to death, but okay.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm pretty old. Most of the music I love (and this song is not in that category) has been played to death.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I got over that problem by drilling into the less standard songs of musicians I like, which is why I posted "Hurricane" for Dylan - or different settings like this clip of Jackson Browne.

He misses some lyrics of the song, or maybe he just decided to change them, but it's just kind of nice that clip, for me at least. I would have liked to have been there - looks like a really cool mellow event.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I thought the point of good music was that you could feel inspired and interpret it the way you, the listener, wanted.

Oh well, I'll just go back to listening to Weird Al's version...
                  I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

or Cheech and Chong

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash View Post
                      I thought the point of good music was that you could feel inspired and interpret it the way you, the listener, wanted.

Oh well, I'll just go back to listening to Weird Al's version...
                      A weird way of trying to make a point, FF. McLean let people speculate on the meaning of the song for about 45 years. It's remarkable that the discussion has continued (admittedly, in increasingly rarefied circles) for so long.

I've got nothing against Weird Al. Nice guy with a great gig. As he himself will tell you, all he does is write parody lyrics, riding on the music writing skills of others while making bludgeon-like, borderline clever pop culture references that require no interpretation at all.

So saying you want your music to inspire personal interpretation, then saying you'll "just go back to...Weird Al" is a touch disingenuous. I'll generously assume your last comment was just flippant.

Comment

I thought it was flippant

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                          A weird way of trying to make a point, FF. McLean let people speculate on the meaning of the song for about 45 years. It's remarkable that the discussion has continued (admittedly, in increasingly rarefied circles) for so long.

I've got nothing against Weird Al. Nice guy with a great gig. As he himself will tell you, all he does is write parody lyrics, riding on the music writing skills of others while making bludgeon-like, borderline clever pop culture references that require no interpretation at all.

So saying you want your music to inspire personal interpretation, then saying you'll "just go back to...Weird Al" is a touch disingenuous. I'll generously assume your last comment was just flippant.
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse View Post
                            I thought it was flippant

In all honesty, the first time I heard the song was Weird Al's version, so that's what sticks with me more.

Wife later sat with me and educated me (her dad was a musician). I had fun learning about all the nuances of what his (through her) interpretation of the song was and some of the other artists referenced... but when I hear the song the first lyrics in my head are Al's.
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I'm pretty old. Most of the music I love (and this song is not in that category) has been played to death.
                              I think it's fair to say most good music will probably wind up getting played to death.

Most music I like has been played to death.

Comment

I'd actually somehow managed to miss the Weird Al version.

It's pretty damn awesome.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                                X