Mrs Horse has expressed interest in playing civ 1 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Horse has expressed interest in playing civ 1 again

Anyone know if you can make it work on a modern laptop? I still have the game, several copies in fact.

She hasn't played since before we were married. That is over 20 years ago, which tells you how old the game is.

Her approach to the game was brutally simple - I should realised the implications for our future married life

She would play Zulu and build lots of chariots. Then she would massacre every civ she came across without pity. The map would end up all green, or she would die. That's my girl

I found it all kind of sexy at the time

She never actually got to the end-game. But I found out later after we got married that she had, and still has, lots of nuclear options - and knows how to use them
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Play civ4. It is a much better game. The best of the series so far.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's a chick thing Dinner - she liked the pretty icons, the antique aspects, or so she said.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Try dosbox. Dosemu is for Linux machines.
        Last edited by pchang; February 9, 2015, 01:33.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

That used to be my approach to civ1 too: chariot-rush the entire continent, tech up to transports+cannons, cannon-rush all other continents.
          Indifference is Bliss

Comment

are you saying that mrs. horse's words are backed by nuclear weapons?
            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Is your copy on the original floppy disc? You may have a problem finding a floppy disc reader. You should also be able to find a copy on the internet. Sometimes in addition to Dosbox these games require a separate program to slow down the CPU, you should be able to find such a program on the internet.
              The first PC game I ever played was Starflight. When Starflight 2 came out in the early 1990's I snapped it up, but the version I bought was missing something - it had no save game function. I had no internet at the time, I wrote to EA but never got a reply, so I set the game aside. Ten years ago I came upon a free copy of Starflight 2 on the inter net. I downloaded it, set it to run in DOS function but the speed of my computer was too fast for the game. I installed a program called SloMo and tired the game on my kid's computer, which used an earlier model of the Pentium chip. Everything went well, but the kids complained that it was messing u their computer, so I quit. It turns out that it wasn't the program itself, it was one of the nasty's that accompany virtually anything "free" you acquire from the internet.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I didn't find civilization there (MOO and MOM are though), but starflight is there
                Also ForAmiga, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Genesis, Macintosh, WindowsDeveloped byBinary SystemsPublished byElectronic Arts, Inc.ReleasedAug 15,...

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

DosBOX has a built-in feature to slow down or speed up games, the shortcuts for it are ctrl + F9 to F12, IIRC.
                  Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Dosbox.

I can help with the .conf file if you have trouble getting it going
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just do CIV II. A better game and MP was fun. (I remember some of those games)
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Civ1 is 16-bit, so the Windows version won't run on anything newer than XP, if that. DOS version works fine with DOSBOX though.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I still have, cough, I mean... I know where you can legally purchase the original files

if anyone needs them

DOS version
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Thanks guys - if we get it going maybe we should spice it up - take a city, take off a piece of clothing...

Or at our age, take a city, put on a piece of clothing!

Comment

strip Civ
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X