Can't move my neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't move my neck

Yesterday I fell asleep on my couch and woke up 3 hours later unable to tilt my head without excruciating pain under my right shoulder blade. Not a huge mystery what this is and it's happened to me before of course but not this bad. How long should I expect it to take to clear up? Anybody have tricks to make it go away faster?

Got a heating pad?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Please open your mouth and say ah.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

1. hot pack
        2. cold compress
        3. POST FINAL STANDINGS FOR 2014 DEAD POOL
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Oh **** I totally forgot about the dead pool.

Comment

That sucks bro.

Ibuprofen.
            Heat.
            Ice. (probably more ice if there is inflammation)

Also, do some stretching. Stand up with your spine as straight as possible. Turn to the left/right, hold for 30 seconds. Alternate. Don't force the stretch if there is pain. Next, lower your left/right ear towards your shoulder. 30 secs. Alternate. Don't force if pain.

This advice is more for muscle issues. If you suspect you may have a spinal issue, call a doctor ASAP.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
              Turn your head and cough.

Have you considered amputation?
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                It's a neck injury. He's not pregnant!
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Ned Stark is my hero

But the problem isn't actually in my neck per se it's a muscle in my back. Amputating that would be hard.

Comment

Reminds me of a Bursitis in my shoulder I had several years ago.

Got me an injection at the sports physician and some strong Ibuprofen pills for the days thereafter (around 600 or 800 mg).
                    Despite the analgetica I had lots of nights with very few sleep ... a bursitis in the shoulder definitely demonstrates you how many moving parts your body has ... even when lying in bed

Perhaps it is similar for you ... maybe a visit at the sports physician would be a good idea
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I am certain I don't need to go to a doctor over this, it's pretty obviously muscular. I slept funny. Now my neck hurts. This has happened to me and probably all of us before, it's just annoying.

I'm kind of worried about my leg though. A while back I posted about how I thought I had stress fractures. A PA told me it was just a sore tendon or something so I chugged motrin and powered through it. It didn't wind up clearing up until I went on break and then promptly came back within 2 days of returning to school. I'm supposed to be running a couple miles on tuesday (reasons) and I'm concerned I won't be able to do it even though that's not a very long distance. After pretty short walks (admittedly through light snow) I'm winding up with pain in my ankle and my knee. I have no idea why. I walked several miles in downtown Washington a few weeks ago--in snow boots and single-digit temperatures no less--and didn't have any issues.

I've started wearing shoes in my apartment, since it has a concrete floor under the carpet. I'm curious if that could be it.
                      Last edited by regexcellent; January 31, 2015, 20:05.

Comment

Buy a casket

Comment

I second the ibuprofen.

I've had **** like that last more than a day, but I'm old.
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by regexcellent View Post

But the problem isn't actually in my neck per se it's a muscle in my back. Amputating that would be hard.
                            Originally posted by regexcellent View Post
                            I am certain I don't need to go to a doctor over this, it's pretty obviously muscular. I slept funny. Now my neck hurts. This has happened to me and probably all of us before, it's just annoying.

I'm kind of worried about my leg though. A while back I posted about how I thought I had stress fractures. A PA told me it was just a sore tendon or something so I chugged motrin and powered through it. It didn't wind up clearing up until I went on break and then promptly came back within 2 days of returning to school. I'm supposed to be running a couple miles on tuesday (reasons) and I'm concerned I won't be able to do it even though that's not a very long distance. After pretty short walks (admittedly through light snow) I'm winding up with pain in my ankle and my knee. I have no idea why. I walked several miles in downtown Washington a few weeks ago--in snow boots and single-digit temperatures no less--and didn't have any issues.

I've started wearing shoes in my apartment, since it has a concrete floor under the carpet. I'm curious if that could be it.
                            Ah. Yes. The neck pain sounds like it could be nerve related.

Have you isolated any variables? For instance, my first thought is a sleeping position issue. Other possibilities could be that you are sitting or rather holding a position during the day that is causing this. Could be an injury that is being aggravated.

Another possibly treatment for your symptoms is an Epsom salt bath.

If you had to guess, what would you say is the problem?
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I know this is going to sound weird but it worked for me. I also had a similar experience. My regular doctor was saying pinched nerve or a degenerative spinal problem. Then a young doctor walked in, talked to my doctor and gave me an "exercise to do". Just lay on a hard flat surface (the floor works) and then do "snow angels". It worked like a charm.
                              If you don't know how to make snow angels, look it up
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X