What I don't get about the flat earth model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I don't get about the flat earth model

How did people explain the fact that water stayed on the surface instead of falling off the edges?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Does the water fall of the edge in your bath?
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Water did fall off the edge. If it didn't, after a big rain storm the oceans would flood out all the land, like it did when it rained for 40 days and nights... that produced too much water to drain properly.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

The dome of firmament.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
          Does the water fall of the edge in your bath?
          So it's more of a giant bathtub model then.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post
            Water did fall off the edge. If it didn't, after a big rain storm the oceans would flood out all the land, like it did when it rained for 40 days and nights... that produced too much water to drain properly.
            But surely people could have observed from watching rain fall on tables that water doesn't stack up to a meaningful degree before flowing off the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢ View Post
              So it's more of a giant bathtub model then.
              A flat bathtub, not sure how could they cope with the proposal that the bathtub is round.

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

(This answer contradicts other answers given about how gravity works on a flat earth but) why should the water "fall off" at all? What gravitational source beyond the Earth would be pulling on the water?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

if I dig deep enough, will I eventually break through the bottom and fall as well?
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Long before you do, you'll run into these guys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	molepeople.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	9101470
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

is there anything I can offer them in exchange for safe passage?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ur Butt
                        "Aha, you must have supported the Iraq war and wear underpants made out of firearms, just like every other American!" Loinburger

Comment

eh, while not my first choice, that wouldn't be so bad
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™ View Post
                            But surely people could have observed from watching rain fall on tables that water doesn't stack up to a meaningful degree before flowing off the edges.
                            Now get a table with a very rugged surface. Also, as you make the 'table' larger and larger, the amount of rainfall received increases with area (square of radius), whereas the area through which the water falls off is proportional to circumference (which grows linearly with radius) and water height at the edge. To balance off, water level must be higher.

Also, what amounts to a thin layer of water in a table could pretty much be a fathomless ocean in the scale of a flat earth.
                            Indifference is Bliss

Comment

In other words - a bathtub.

Comment

Working...
                              X